Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

airboot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
I installed WinXP using Boot Camp on my MacBook Air. The WinXP install runs fine.

I then installed VMWare Fusion w/latest 1.1.1 update and tried to run the WinXP Boot Camp partition. However, it failed during the preprocessing Boot Camp partition stage.

Has anyone else been able to get this to work? Either with XP or Vista?

Perhaps VMWare Fusion needs an update to be able to run a Boot Camp partition on the MacBook Air?

Magguss

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
Hi airboot!

An interesting question in my opinion is whether it is possible to install Windows without the SuperDrive, either via air or via ethernet-dongle? Which method did you use?

Cheers

airboot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
Hi Magguss,

I used the SuperDrive. I needed the SuperDrive for other reasons too, so I didn't try to find an alternative method of installing Windows.

johnlvx

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008
airboot,
I am having the exact same issue with Vista Business. The VMWare Fusion app just crashes and shuts down as soon as you press the play button on the VM. I think the air may have a slightly different version of bootcamp due to its new hardware(chipset and processor are highly suspect in this) and Fusion will need an update from VMWare to correct. I havent tried Parallells. Boot Camp is almost a must with this because of the memory limitation... there are some times that more than 1.5GB will be needed and the only way to get that is Boot Camp/VM hybrid solution.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
airboot,
I am having the exact same issue with Vista Business. The VMWare Fusion app just crashes and shuts down as soon as you press the play button on the VM. I think the air may have a slightly different version of bootcamp due to its new hardware(chipset and processor are highly suspect in this) and Fusion will need an update from VMWare to correct. I havent tried Parallells. Boot Camp is almost a must with this because of the memory limitation... there are some times that more than 1.5GB will be needed and the only way to get that is Boot Camp/VM hybrid solution.

Before you give up, try going into the VM settings and disconnecting the CD/DVD drive. Then hit run.

I had the same issue with VMWare today (not a BootCamp partition, but basically) and it was due to the CD/DVD drive support.

johnlvx

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008
Before you give up, try going into the VM settings and disconnecting the CD/DVD drive. Then hit run.

I had the same issue with VMWare today (not a BootCamp partition, but basically) and it was due to the CD/DVD drive support.

Bravo! It worked. Thanks Krevnik.

airboot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
Yes, that fixed it. Thanks Krevnik!

However, when I did "Install VMWare Tools" it seemed like VMWare crashed. Window and dock icon disappeared. I started VMWare again and the VM was back where it left off - now asking me to restart Windows because new drivers had been installed.

I restarted but VMWare still thinks that the Tools have not been installed. If I select the Install Tools menu option again nothing happens.

Another issue I'm having with Boot Camp: sometimes the SuperDrive does not work under WinXP. The slot loading mechanism won't let me insert a disc. If I boot into MacOS X, then boot back into WinXP (using Boot Camp), it starts working. Anyone else seeing this? Is my SuperDrive defective?

seecoolguy

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007
when doing bootcamp, do you loose the ability to snapshot and revert snapshots?

johnlvx

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008
I actually ditched boot camp and installed XP instead of Vista as a regular virtual machine. It seemed like less trouble. Besides, 1.25GB of ram is plenty for XP, even for windows development which is what I am using it for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.