Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 27, 2007
I've got an XP VM set up in Fusion to run a few apps that don't exist/are better than their Mac counterparts. Since Time Machine doesn't play nicely with a 20GB VM image, I don't backup this VM. Therefore, I don't save any files on the VM. I've been dragging the files to and from the VM for use, but always storing them on the Mac file system. It is kind of a pain so I've been looking at using the shared folder option in Fusion.

My question is if I will encounter any problems if I set up folder sharing to let my XP VM read and write these files directly from the Mac file system. I'd hate to have XP destroy the files or even my Mac file system by giving it direct access. Can people doing this comment on their experience?

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
I do it, and have had no problems. Windows cannot write to the Mac side natively, but Fusion translates it just as if you had dragged the files from Xp to OS X, so you shouldn't run into any problems.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 27, 2007
That's good to know. If Fusion is actually doing the reading and writing, then you are right that it should be fine.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 27, 2007
So I tried it and it does work, but there is a problem. When using an app like Visio, a temp file gets saved to the directory where the file is stored. It appears that the file is constantly accessed and this is really slow with the Windows > VM Ware > Mac conversion constantly happening. Visio became too slow to use, so I guess I'll just stick with the way I have been doing it.

nate456789

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2008
VMWare Fusion Shared Folder Question

I also use XP in vmWare pretty heavily and wanted to take advantage of time machine.
So to automate the pushing of files to the shared folder I used SyncToys 2.0 and put it in the windows scheduler to push the files once a day.

The problem I have is that it says the user doesn't have rights to write to that folder. Even though it is the main account that can open the shared mapped folder and do whatever.

I also tried pointing myDocuments folder to the mapped vmWare folder to just use that folder directly, but even that couldn't write to the vmware folder.
It seem like you can only write to the vmWare folder if you open it from my computer and clicked on the actual mapped drive.

Does anyone have any ideas on why the permissions are a little goofy on this folder? Any way to get around this? Did I miss something on the configuration?
It would be nice to have windows automatically sync documents so time machine can pick them up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.