VMWare Fusion...Suspend or Shutdown

GNice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
I apologize for the newbie question but I'm new to the virtualization stuff having just bought my first mac. I still have to run Windows stuff for work so wanted to know if it's fine to suspend XP all the time or do I need to shutdown on occasion. I'm used to needing to restart a Windows machine after a few days of usage. Just wondering if the same applies...seems that it would, but wanted to hear from those more experienced.

Thx...

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
It would just be like hibernating. You probably should restart every so often, at least if you feel a slowdown. Also note, to suspend it takes up as much hard drive space as you have allocated for RAM in the virtual machine.

rhoydotp

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2006
it is pretty much the same with windows as it is the os & not the hardware that is the issue. suspend everyday & reboot every couple of times should do the trick.

rebuild at least once a year should make it a better os :)

just kidding ... NOT! :D

chelsel

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2007
I'm a recent Mac switcher, and I also have a lot of Windows applications that I still need to run. I use VMWare Fusion with an XP virtual machine. I highly recommend shutting down and restarting when necessary. Suspending the virtual machine is just asking for trouble, especially if network mounts and open files are involved. I don't even trust the sleep feature on the Mac... I've had it completely lock up my new Macbook Pro two times in one month.

Cliff.