Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rorlow

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Detroit, MI
VMware Fusion Tech Preview runs fine in ML, loads virtual machines from Fusion 4 and gives you the option to upgrade virtual machines to newer Tech Preview VM or run as they are. Have even been running Windows 8 in a VM in Tech Preview in ML. You can also load ML as a virtual machine in Tech Preview if you prefer.

link to beta of Fusion Tech Preview - http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/beta/fusiontp2012

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
On ML, if we have 2 partitions (one official) and one for ML- and Dev preview is installed on the ML partition.

Do we need to also copy this VM to the new partition? Or can we work on the other VM regardless of which OS is booted?

Space reasons is why I am asking (1), and corruption (2).

How are you running it?

thx

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
On ML, if we have 2 partitions (one official)
What is an official partition?

and one for ML- and Dev preview is installed on the ML partition.
What? ML is only available as a developer preview. So what do you mean with ML AND Dev preview?

Do we need to also copy this VM to the new partition?
What do you want to copy? You did not explain it.

Or can we work on the other VM regardless of which OS is booted?
What?

How are you running it?
What and where?

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Can we run a current VM on another partition on ML (with the fusion Tech preview), without corrupting it.
I would not do it. The tech preview represents different virtual hardware and changes probably the format of the vmdk files.

http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-18666
says
This Technology Preview includes changes to the underlying virtualization platform that are under active development and investigation. There are no guarantees that changes in this preview will be forward compatible with other VMware software, nor that these changes will be present in future supported releases of VMware Fusion.
and
Do not attempt to mount VMDK files on the host Mac using the Technology Preview. This may result in corrupted virtual disks.

Here is, what i would do:
1. Shutdown VMware Fusion v3.x.x or v4.x.x.
2. Make a backup of my current VMs and of the Fusion preferences files:
~/Library/Preferences/com.vmware.fusion.plist
and/or
~/Library/Preferences/VMware Fusion/
then delete the original preferences files.
3. Install VMware Fusion Technology Preview 2012. I can use now my old VMs or i can create new (experimental) VMs with the Technology Preview. Add my old VMs via drag & drop to the VMs window.
4. If done, uninstall VMware Fusion Technology Preview 2012, and copy back the VMs and preferences files from my backup.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
I would not do it. The tech preview represents different virtual hardware and changes probably the format of the vmdk files.

http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-18666
says

and

Here is, what i would do:
1. Shutdown VMware Fusion v3.x.x or v4.x.x.
2. Make a backup of my current VMs and of the Fusion preferences files:
~/Library/Preferences/com.vmware.fusion.plist
and/or
~/Library/Preferences/VMware Fusion/
then delete the original preferences files.
3. Install VMware Fusion Technology Preview 2012. I can use now my old VMs or i can create new (experimental) VMs with the Technology Preview. Add my old VMs via drag & drop to the VMs window.
4. If done, uninstall VMware Fusion Technology Preview 2012, and copy back the VMs and preferences files from my backup.

That's what I figured. Was just trying to save SSD space by copying the 30GB file to the other partition. It's not an option to risk corruption; so I will leave as is.
thanks for the links and steps, much appreciated.

paul117

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2012
hey all
does anyone have a direct link to this download? ive attempted to download it through the link but it tells me my account is inactive even if i make a new account on vmware website.

thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.