vmware fusion uninstall? [Solved]

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by matt9b, Sep 23, 2008.

1. matt9b macrumors member

Lets say, hypothetically speaking, I install windows XP using vmware fusion. Then lets say later, some day, I would like to remove windows XP. How do I do this?

Then lets say later, some day, I'd like to remove fusion. How do I do this?

Call me stupid but after googling to my heart's content, and reading the fusion website and help files, it doesn't seem that the developers thought customers might want to remove windows, or goodness forbid, remove vmware fusion.

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

you can do it directly thru Fusion or delete your virtual machine in home/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines.

3. matt9b thread starter macrumors member

thanks. i'd like to do it in fusion. I can see no option here. Where is it?

[update]

Okay. I just loaded up fusion, and clicked on the windows vm and pressed "delete" on my keyboard. It's vanished! Lets say it was an accidental press, how to I get windows vm back? I would have thought this function would have an "are you sure?" message.

[update] okay, the delete button just erased the option, it didnt actually erase the windows xp vm.

The location of the windows vm is not where you thought (above). It is in fact here: Macintosh HD/Users/home/documents/virtual machines/

Also, I would have expected fusion to have an erase button in their GUI. After all, mac os x is meant to be easier to use than windows. Yet I always find myself having to navigate through the finder to delete and uninstall programs and parts of programs manually. All very odd.

4. goolash macrumors newbie

To remove vmware go to /library/applicationsupport/VMware Fusion folder. There you will find an uninstall program.

It is annoying this option is not easier to locate. :rolleyes:

5. weathermachine macrumors newbie

At that exact finder location, I have no uninstall program. Should I use appzapper or will trashing it suffice?

6. goolash macrumors newbie

Hi

The location I specified is not in your home directory but at the root level. ( I did not make that 100% clear) If the uninstaller is not there then I think you have no alternative but to use appzapper, so all the services are removed for sure.

Best of luck

7. mrkblue macrumors newbie

VM Fusion Uninstall

It was easy for me. Install disk in DVD drive, click on the mount icon on the desktop, there are two options that appear...install and un-install. Done.