VMware Fusion vs academic version

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wwwdotcomdotnet, Jan 18, 2008.

1. wwwdotcomdotnet macrumors member

Am I the only one confused about what the difference is between the two (besides price...$79 vs $39, respectively)? Can someone please enlighten me?

2. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Hmm, apparently I got the academic version, because mine cost $39. Of course, I bought it from my university bookstore. So without knowing anything else, my guess it the "academic version" is just a discount on the same software when they sell it to academic institutions?

3. wwwdotcomdotnet thread starter macrumors member

Can anyone else offer any more input on this?

4. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

I got the Academic version as well. There's no difference between the retail version, as far as capabilities are concerned. It's the same binary.

With larger, more expensive application suites like CS3 and MS Office, the difference between Academic and Retail shows up when you want to upgrade to the next major version. A 'retail' license will often entitle you to a discount on the newer version, whereas academic licenses often don't.

With VMWare Fusion, if this is mentioned in the license agreement, it's not a big deal since VMWare is so inexpensive anyway (compared to Adobe and Microsoft).

(there are other restrictions that usually apply to academic licensing, usually regarding non-commercial use, etc., but these probably wouldn't apply to Fusion either).

5. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

just been onto the site and clicked on buy, and it only came up
    with the 79 bucks option. Thats what i paid when i bought it
    a few months back.So my answer is dont know

edit now i do:rolleyes:

6. wwwdotcomdotnet thread starter macrumors member

I think it only pops up when you are logged in as eligible for a student discount.