vmware fusion vs parallels vs bootcamp

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 212rikanmofo, Oct 20, 2008.

1. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

I am all new to this virtualiztion thing. What is the best method of running windows to play games on? Also if you were to use bootcamp to partition the drive, lets say you want to get rid of the windows partition later. and give that partition back to mac os x. Will I be able to w/o having to reformat the entire HD? I heard if you mess with partitions liek adding more, you wont be able to go back to 1 partition w/o having to reformat the entire HD and reinstalling OS X. If this is true I won't mess with bootcamp then.

2. Aniki macrumors regular

Nope, it's untrue. Go open boot camp, after it's done partitioning, and installing windows, when you open it again in OS X, it'll ask if you want to get rid of windows and make it only os x. For games use boot camp if your using macbook pro. On any computer. NEVER use vmware or parallels for games. It'll crash on ANY game at all. It lags on flash games sometimes. For just office and such, and work, vmware is fine. If your using macbook, or iMac. Get crossover games. It allows you to run windows game's on macs with NO LAG at all, inside of OS X, and no copy of windows is required for $50. I use it and highly recommend it. It's sweet even on macbook pros.

3. Nordichund macrumors 6502

What 212rikanmofo says is absolutely correct.

I've been using Parallels for a year now, and since their last update I think for the smaller applications, it's an excellent product.

Both Vmware and Parallels do the job. If I were to buy a new Mac, then I would look for which is cheapest on the day.
    I have on a few occasions had to use Parallels support over the net (basically my fault). On each occasion I've found them to be reliable, helpful, polite and efficient.

The only problem I have found in the whole equation is Windows :p

4. Aniki macrumors regular

He said GAMES. Not even peggle will launch in either (yes I tried). It BARELY runs ricochet, which is ridiculously easy to run, and yes it's on ALL low and still barely runs. =|

5. DaveF macrumors 6502a

For gaming, use BootCamp. (I'm assuming normal "games" like Starcraft and Bioshock, etc.) If you only use Windows for games (no home/office work, etc.) then you can save your money and not buy Parallels or Fusion.

You can remove the Windows Partition and return the space back to the primary OS X partition easily with Disk Utility. I did this recently and it's very easy. This will wholly delete everything on the Windows partition, so backup any files of interest before doing it.

6. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

IMO the best is Bootcamp for games.

HOWEVER, dispite the bullocks Aniki said that it doesn't run any games, VMWare does run quite a tauntry list of games just fine, however that depends on your system.

A Blackbook most certainly wouldn't run VMWare games very well. I have a 24" iMac (late 2007) and I can run quite a few games in VMWare, full screen and windowed, and in Unity mode.

Crossover games also runs a good list (depending on your system) and I've played Guild Wars on it (and in VMWare) but bottom line.... do the Gaming in Bootcamp for max performance.