Vmware Fusion vs Parallels w/ Virtual Desktop

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Radskull, May 23, 2008.

1. Radskull macrumors newbie

I'm just about to get my new macbook (assuming fedex doesnt take forever getting it out of China) and i do plan on installing windows as i'm going to need certain applications. I'm not going to use boot camp because i dont want to have to reboot everytime i need something from the other OS.

I've looked into the different options and found that VMware fusion and Parallels w/Virtual Desktop seem to be the most common options.

Does anybody have any pros and cons to both of these softwares or maybe even other suggestions????

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

They're both the same product type and are direct competitors. I've used both, and now prefer VMWare Fusion, which seems to be the general consensus here. VMWare has been doing this a long time, and has the experience already in-house to put out a polished offering. Version 2 (still in beta) is a large improvement over a solid 1.x current release. Parallels, feature for feature, is pretty much the same thing, but from a company that is introducing this type of product for the first time.

Both have free trials, and I think you'll find little truly separating them, other than your personal gut reaction.

Remember, too, that both Fusion & Parallels can use a Boot Camp partition for the virtual machine, so you have a VM when you just need a quick Windows session, or you can boot completely into it when you want to do some serious thrashing, and need all the horsepower you can get.

3. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

here's the first thread i found after searching
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=474576
    you should search the forum
    there are several threads about this

i use parallels and like it
    but i can't compare it to anything
    it's all i've ever used

4. Radskull thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry i know i posted this in the wrong section. i've re-posted it in the appropriate place.

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Please don't post the same thing in multiple sub-forums. Simply report your original post and ask that a mod just move it.

Attached Files:

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I have the VMWare Fusion. It's pretty much the same feature-wise with the Parallels offering with one big difference--you can move your virtual computers from Fusion to another computer running VMWare whether it's a Windows, Linux, or Mac.

You can't do that with Parallels.

7. mavherzog macrumors 6502

I've moved Parallels VM's from Mac to the Linux version of Parallels without issue. Are you saying there is a limitation with the Windows-version of Parallels Workstation that makes it incompatible with VM's that work fine with Mac and Linux?