VMWARE fusion vs. Parrallels...again

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ki2594, May 8, 2008.

1. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

Hey guys. I know this is in the Macbook forum but this is for my dads macbook air. Which virtual program will be faster running vista business? I need some answers quick!
    Thanks!!

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

do a search....theres been many a thread on this. including one started today

in short: consensus is usually vmware

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

try using the search then

4. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

i would go with the other one cause i was having troubles with parallels today on leopard for somereason it wouldnt read the disc and say theres an error oon the other hand virtual pc read it fine on my emac but id just use bootcamp unless u wanna switch through out otherwise use the not parallels one save ur self some trouble maybe its just me iunno

5. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

I chose VM for one reason... I had already loaded up a win xp bootcamp partition. VM allowed me to use that with a minimal of installation. Case closed for me.

6. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

Avoiding the flaming :rolleyes: I'll say, as I have before, that VMWare is the better choice.

It's faster, seems a little lighter on memory, and the 2.0 revision will be a free upgrade for existing users. ;)

7. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

This is a lose-lose question. For ME, running Windows XP, Parallels is much faster.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

to be fair, parrallels lets you do that too very easily

9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Seriously. there are free demos. Use them both and figure it out yourself!

10. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

If Parallels can do that, it seems to be a recent turn of events. I emailed their tech support a while back about it and they said, no good.

11. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Fusion. And VMWare gets tons of cash from Intel for R&D, so they can afford better support, and are more likely to get new features to market before Parallels.

12. cmcbridejr macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

Though I only have firsthand experience with everyday use of parallels, I would recommend Fusion.

Here's why:

Though credit needs to be given to Parallels for being first to market, they are a smaller organization (with less support).

I purchased Parallels 2.5 with a promise for a free upgrade to version 3. Then, version 3 came out and Parallels retracted their offer and decided not to make it free. Also, Fusion is now saying that their next upgrade will be free.

VMWare has a much longer history with virtualization and also more resources.

From the reviews that I have read, Fusion is also not as RAM hungry and less intensive on the processor.

So, having been a Parallels user with no firsthand experience of Fusion, I still vote for Fusion as being better.

13. ki2594 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cool, thanks guys. I think me and my dad might go and get fusion this weekend. They sell it at the apple store, don't they?

14. cmcbridejr macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

I think Amazon has it cheaper.

15. ki2594 thread starter macrumors 6502a

16. aristobrat macrumors G4

And as someone else pointed out already, you can download free trials of both VMWare and Parallels.

17. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

yea and if u like it u can just buy a key online or if its anycheaper go out and buy it

18. ki2594 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah it looks like my dad's just gonna go ahead and try bootcamp and see if that fits his needs. Thanks guys!