VMWare Fusion w/Win7

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by QuaziModo, Sep 16, 2011.

1. QuaziModo macrumors member

Currently configured on my 2011 Ultimate 11" MBA

VM has 2GB RAM and 1 CPU

Seems to be running very well. 4.3 Exp Index which is acceptable and the GPU is the limiting factor. Am going to see how it runs and might reduce the RAM to 1.5GB as most of my apps will be running under OSX.

I guess I really just wanted to start a discussion between those of us on our experiences with best overall performance of the whole MBA system with VM's being used.

2. Thomas Davie macrumors 6502

Got my MBA 13"/256SSD/i7 Sept. 13. Had VMWare Fusion 3.whatever installed and immediately upgraded to 4.0.

I've got the following software installed;

Office 11
    Ripit
    Toast Titanium 11
    VWMware Fusion 4 (Windows XP with SP3 and Civ 3 Conquests)

Windows is assigned to it's own space (desktop #2), which it snaps to as long as I haven't rebooted since assigning the application to a specific space. I usually fire up Civ3C and frequently switch back and forth between the game and OSX. 1.5gb ram assigned to the virtual machine.

Temperatures when I'm playing Civ reach ~80C. Switching to OSX and I forget Windows is even open.

No issues. At all.

Tom

3. QuaziModo thread starter macrumors member

Fusion V4

Do you notice Fusion V4 works that much better?

I'm a bit pissed that I paid for V3.13 less than 4 weeks ago and a new version is out. Such is life I guess :)

4. richlee111 macrumors regular

If you purchased Fusion V3 on or after 7/20/2011, you get a free upgrade to V4.

5. psxguru macrumors 6502a