VMware Fusion + Win XP Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bmwpowere36m3, May 10, 2008.

1. bmwpowere36m3 macrumors 6502

I'm having "problems" I think with VMware Fusion and windows xp pro. When I first install the VM, I set aside 6GB of space, which after JUST installing win xp pro seems to have taken up the majority of the space on the VM HD. I thought the installation was around 1.5GBs. Also when installing other software, It seems to take up more space than usual.

Am I missing something, or it this normal and I just need to set aside more space? After installing and selection the HD allowance, can you can that. Like I started with 6GB, but now want 10GB? Thanks.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Isn't the recommended allocation much higher than 6 GB
    More like 15 or 30?

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. micsaund macrumors 6502

micsaund

Are you judging the size of the XP install from the files in the OSX side, or from within the guest?

The growable VMW partitions do not auto-shrink. so once they are allocated, the vmdk will be larger than what's actually allocated within the vmdk. As Windows is installed/etc., the vmdk is grown and doesn't shrink back down.

Go into Winbloze and right-click your C: drive and select Properties. That should be more along the lines of the 1.5GB you're expecting.

As for increasing the size of your VM's disk: yes, you can do it, but increasing the VM hard disk size will not automatically make Winbloze see all of the space, just like with a physical machine. You'll have to increase the HD size and then run Patition Magic/Acronis/Gparted to expand the partition within the VM.

Mike

4. bmwpowere36m3 thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess I might have done something wrong previously... when I setup a new VM I set aside 20GB for it. Upon initial XP Pro installation, it used up 1.79GB and then after updating w/ SP2 & SP3 finally used 3.9GB. I didn't realize it was so much, but anyway it works great.