vmware fusion

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by drenriza, Jun 19, 2011.

1. drenriza macrumors newbie

I use vmware fusion on my mac to run ubuntu as a virtual environment. But i have a problem so far, when i boot up the system the wireless network connection on my mac is shown as eht1 or eht2 on my ubuntu system. Anyone know how to make it so it is shown as wlan0.

Thanks on advance.

2. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

3. keantan, Jun 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2011

keantan macrumors regular

This is because of the way VMWare Fusion works, it bridges the wireless connection on your mac to the "Ethernet" connection on the virtual machine. This is all done via software and regardless of whether you use WiFi or Ethernet on your Mac, your virtual machine should show as having an ethernet connection (someone please correct me if I am wrong, but this has always been the case for me).

If you were to force it to show as a WiFi connection, the daemon that runs in linux may continually try and look for a wireless network that may not exist. It COULD cause stability problems. I really wouldn't worry about it. It makes little difference in terms of OS function.

4. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

I misunderstood your post earlier. I run Ubuntu 10.04 and have no network stack issues. You can choose bridged or NAT. Either will work and pass network info. If it purely a cosmetic thing, I do not know off the top of my head, how to fix that.

5. kevink2 macrumors 65816

it could be done if someone wants to mess with udev rules. I would recommend NOT too :)