Vmware fusion

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kwalker5, Oct 25, 2008.

1. kwalker5 macrumors member

I have a question. Watching the install video on vmares website it show you installing windows xp pro without the actual windows disk at all, only providing you activation #, is this correct? they are showing you to select xp iso and go from there. If that is the case could I only input my activation # from xp sp1 and not need sp2? Or is your windows already installed from bootcamp.

2. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

The video is most likely demonstrating how to install from a ISO. If you install Xp in VMWARE fusion or boot camp you still have to activate windows regardless

3. chscag macrumors 68000

Regardless of which version of Windows XP you install, it will have to be activated. If you install Windows XP as a VM with Fusion you do not need to have SP2. SP1 will work just fine, however, you still need a full (not upgrade) version of XP. As far as installing XP from an ISO you would still need to activate it.

Regards.

4. kwalker5 thread starter macrumors member

On my windows disk it would say upgrade if it was, right, which it does not say other than for new pcs only with my activation #.

5. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

If you later want to have SP2, you can download it from Microsoft, and if you want to do a BootCamp installation you need the SP2, and you can do a slipstreaming procedure to create a SP2 disc from your SP1 disc/image, search this term and you will find detailed instructions.