VMware fusion2. Using bootcamped win7 or create one?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by aigoya, Jun 14, 2010.

1. aigoya macrumors member

Hello,

I have Win7 set up on my 13" mbp through VMware.

Is there any difference in performance if I used VMware to use a partitioned space of bootcamped Win7, or is creating a virtualization through VMware the best way?

I don't have much need for windows besides work, but sometimes I get an itch to play some games via win 7.

I was wondering if there is any performance differences between bootcamped virtualization or VMware virtualized win7.

Thank you kindly.

2. Zortrium macrumors 6502

A pure VM has moderately better performance than running your Boot Camp partition from within VMware. However, if you particularly care about performance, my first recommendation would be upgrading to VMware 3.

3. aigoya thread starter macrumors member

Hm, never quite thought of that XD. Is the transition from vmware 2->3 easy? I'm not talking about features and what not, I'm talking about the ease of installing essentially upgrading from verison 2 to 3 without any headaches.

Thanks for the quick reply btw!

4. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

It was painless for me on both my work MBP and my home mini. One additional plus for using regular VMs instead of a Bootcamp partition is that they are just files that can be backed up in Time Machine if you wish. To backup your Bootcamp partition you have to use an application like Winclone. One plus for a Bootcamp partition is the ability to boot native Windows for playing games and then using VMware for any other Windows apps that run acceptably when virtualized, all without wasting space for two Windows installs on the same machine.

5. Macloven macrumors regular

Macloven

vm2 to vm3 update was painless on my system. Better features, and definitely runs faster for me.

I went from bootcamp to virtual Windows and so far happy with it. I had to reload my system yesterday due to Safari 5 running so poorly, and it was great being able to back up the virtual windows in a couple of minutes and re-install entire os without a hitch.

mg