VMWare Fussion with bootcamp

Discussion in 'macOS' started by carlosbutler, Sep 13, 2008.

1. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

I am thinking of installing windows xp (i know, crappy, still better than vista a needed to play steam games) and will use boot camp for games. but i was also going for vmware fussion because i have got some windows only products.

so is it best to install XP through bootcamp and then simply use vmware fussion after the bootcamp install?

2. Trip.Tucker Guest

You are on the right track. ;)

You can save disk space by using your Boot Camp partition only. I do run a separate XP vm for testing/sandbox activities but only so I don't change anything on my Boot Camp setup. My Boot Camp is only used for a handful of games, all else I run under OS X.

Once you have XP setup on the Boot Camp partition, reboot into OS X and start VMware Fusion, and you will see the Boot Camp partition appear in the list of available VM's.

3. carlosbutler thread starter macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

ok thanks, very helpful. although one thing, vmware fussion is £80 in the UK and $80 in america. if i purchase it from them online, is there a limit on downloads or for a year or something hidden?

4. Trip.Tucker Guest

Nope, no hidden gotcha's or restrictions. VMware Fusion is definitely the better choice compared to Parallels. I use all as part of my daily work but have found Fusion better all round especially in performance.

5. carlosbutler thread starter macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

Jolly good. I shall download a trial version and give it a test run.

Thank you for the help!

6. Trip.Tucker Guest

Most welcome :)

7. sgtbob macrumors regular

sgtbob

Fusion, Boot Camp & iMac

Being new to iMac's, I too am struggling with some of the older Windows stuff. At present I have Windows XP installed on my iMac using Parallels. This works great and does what I need. Now I would like to install Ubuntu (Linux) also, but am having lots of trouble with getting Parallels to install the OS. Is it possible to have Parallels, Fusion and Bootcamp operating on one system? That is, could I continue using Windows on my Parallels package and install Fusion or Bootcamp to install Ubuntu?

Bob:confused: