vmware gaming problem

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by brsboarder, Apr 3, 2009.

1. brsboarder macrumors 6502a

So, I currently have vmware boot on my bootcamp drive. I've been trying to play old school Age of Empires 1/2 through vmware. Yet, when I try to load the game, everything just gets messed up, and I think the problem is the video drivers. When I play on bootcamp, its perfect. Any ideas?

2. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

There's nothing "wrong." VMWare, or any virtualization software, are usually unable to play games. The reason is that they virtualize the video card, which is typically a very old one with minimal 3D support (meaing, it can't play games).

3. Aniki macrumors regular

As the person above me said, DON'T game in vmware. Use boot camp

4. Zortrium macrumors 6502

I think you're all missing the point. VMware is quite capable of playing a good number of old games -- we're talking about two mostly 2D games from many years ago, not the latest and greatest FPS. In fact, for one old PC game I tried (Majesty), I was able to get it to work perfectly in VMware, but could NOT get it to work natively in Boot Camp using the same partition.

So, to try to answer the OP's question, I'd first make sure that you're running the latest version of VMware (at least 2.something, they have much better video support). Also make sure that 3D acceleration is enabled in the virtual machine preferences.

5. brsboarder thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm talking about age of empires 1/2 games from 1997 and 1999. Are you really saying that it can't handle decade old games?

6. brsboarder thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No, it does the same thing.

8. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Virtual machine = productivity
    Boot Camp = gaming, running Windows natively

Yes, it could probably run VERY old games alright, but why bother when you can run it at the full potential of your computer? Restarting into Windows only takes a few extra seconds anyway.

9. jons macrumors 6502

Yeah, I haven't had very good luck with gaming in VMWare.

10. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I play Counter Strike Source and Sins of a Solar Empire in a XP Virtual Machine w/ 2GB ram. Runs very nice.