VMWare or parallel? advice please

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rookies1000, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Rookies1000 macrumors newbie

Hello
    This is my first macbook pro, 2011 15" 2.2GHz 8GB Ram, I just switched from windows to mac and so far I'm loving it:)
    Now my study and work requires me to run some windows application. Mostly electrical engineering application. I have done some research but still in doubt what would suit me best VMWare or parallel?

My requirement is performance and ease of use/file sharing. I will be using windows 7 professional editions 64-bit
    I don't think I will ever need to boot up in windows, so I probably will not consider bootcamp.

Thank you

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Both programs are highly regarded and work great. You can't go wrong with either. I say close your eyes and pick one :D

3. notclosetofour macrumors member

Both Parallels and VMware are great virtual machines. I have heard the Parallels is slightly better, but that is definitely a debatable fact.

4. Gilj macrumors member

I haven't tried any of them, my MBP is on his way ^^".
    but, if you want to purchase Parallels, you can save 30$ and get few more apps in the Mac Update Bundle (Spring 2011) : https://www.mupromo.com/ .

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Both have their fans. Neither of them is better than the other, it's just a preference thing. You can find lots of threads about this topic which will tell you the same. Generally, users of Parallels will recommend Parallels while users of VMWare will recommend VMWare.

6. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Parallels is an awful, buggy program that frustrates me on a regular basis. I have not used VMWare but would be surprised if it was worse. Parallels also have a very rapid iteration process where they launch new versions without ever fixing the older versions, and the new versions have the same bugs and more, new bugs. Crap company, crap software.

7. yahoohoo macrumors newbie

8. tcador macrumors regular

I prefer VMware myself although I am biased as that's what we use at work for all of our server virtualization and I'm also certified in it. I haven't used Parallels for comparison and probably never will, I'm very happy with Fusion and have no complaints at all.

9. mcvaughan macrumors 6502a

Yup, that was my experience with Parallels (version 6, at least). VMware Fusion may not be as fast, but it's more stable than Parallels.

10. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

This.

Parallels is faster - confirmed - but it's unstable.

VMWare is slower - confirmed - but it's more reliable.

VMWare has better support, forums have a lot of helpful sorts as well.

Parallels integrates nicer on the Mac side - supports "Mac" things such as pinch to zoom directly in the VM.

VMWare supports VMs on the Mac or PC side without conversion.

VMWare is cheaper, for now.

Personal choice is VMWare. If stability doesn't matter, Parallels is fine. It's the one main thing that holds it back is the fact that it's just not stable. Remember also that VMWare as a company has basically cornered the market on virtualization technologies in general.

11. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

I think Parallels integrates better with Macs, but really, you can't go wrong with either program.

12. Mik3F macrumors 6502

13. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

14. datniceguy macrumors member

I <3 Parallels 6. Stable for me, Coherence is amazing. But you can't go wrong with either.

15. Al Coholic macrumors 6502

Parallels for me (since version 4). No problems.

Tried VMware. It's noticeably slower.

16. brentsg macrumors 68040

I'm using both, though I've used VM for a longer time.

In years with Fusion, no problems. In months with Parallels I've had one Win7 VM corrupt itself, no clue why.

17. v2kea412 macrumors member

I have been using VM Fusion for 3 years now, from V1 to V3.... Outstanding product. Constantly using it to dual boot my Win7 partition while running OSX. I need it for my job and have had ZERO issues. I too am getting a new 15 MBP, so that I can take advantage of the 8GB RAM limit in order to run more VMs concurrently... Good luck in your decision!

18. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I like vmware.

Parallel always gave me issues. Granted I didn't use in a while but vmware just worked so I never had a reason to look further.

19. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I have used vmware exclusively, so no real opinion on Parallells other than professors when I was in college telling me they wished they had gotten VMware instead of Parallells. The one thing about VMare (besides my company using it) is that any VMWare image that can be used in their other projects can also be used in Fusion. This makes it easy for me to use a Mac in a predominantly Windows shop (we have to use Windows as our software has no Mac alternative). I am just as productive as any one else within the company and can copy their images and use them just as they use them in player or workstation. This is just one area that Parallells lacks in, portability. A Parallells image only works in Parallells (it can be converted, but things can be lost and corrupted, never had any of these issues in VMWare).

20. Joshuarocks macrumors 6502

Joshuarocks

VMWARE all the way!!! I hate Parallels, as it sometimes kernel panics on me.. Never had a problem with vmware.

21. Buschmaster macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

I'm surprised to see so many reports of instability with Parallels. Mine has been great!

I used Fusion and it didn't work very well for me.

22. Whitelightning macrumors regular

I was thinking a poll would have been more appropriate, but after reading this.. I think will go with Vmware based on popular opinion.

23. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Try Googling 'Parallels sticky keys' and view some of search results. Parallels has this awesome bug that means suddenly, during normal typing, pressing 'R' brings up Windows Explorer, pressing 'T' does something else and so on. Net result, you have to reboot. That's just one example and it was/is a fairly common problem. Parallels' answer was to release a new version to fix it, ask people to PAY to upgrade, then present them with a slew of similarly serious bugs.

I am glad for you that you have had no problems because I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Trying to finish a 200-page full colour report and having to reboot every five minutes (or try fix it with a full reinstall, natch), is seriously almost enough to send you mental. :eek:

Many, many people have found Parallels software an utter disaster.

24. nostylez macrumors member

I have been using Parallels 6 windows 7 ultimate, for about a day.
    So far no issues. I have never run VM before and am quite surprised at how smooth it is.

25. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

I've been using VMware for a few years now and after the MacUpdate promo, decided to try Parallels (that and ~10 more apps for 49.99). VMware should do everything you need, it's frustrated me at times but its never let me down in a huge way but I haven't found it to be hugely impressive either. It works, basically.

Parallels seems to be nicer, haven't spent much time with it but I can already notice the speed increase and it does seem to have lots of features that I can see to be useful. Again, I don't have much experience but I have haven't had any catastrophic failures.