vmware or parallels

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by k12ingitup, Oct 4, 2008.

1. k12ingitup macrumors newbie

What do you guys is are better? I need to run OS X and Windows XP at the same thing to run a EXE

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Six of one, half dozen of the other

They are about the same... most here use VMWare Fusion I think
    But it is just personal preference
    You can download the trials of both and test for yourself

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. k12ingitup thread starter macrumors newbie

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I suggest a search on MRoogle for some of this, the topic has been discussed pretty extensively on the forums. You can find a link to it in my sig line (bottom right)

5. InfoTime macrumors 6502

VMWare! Three reasons:

1) WMWare is a stable, large, well established player (undisputed leader as far as I know) in the virtual machine software industry. To me this means that they have more resources, more experience, etc. etc. which in the end will result in a better product.

2) My experience: I thought it would be cool to move VMs between Mac host computers and Windows host computers, as I use both. Parallels support on the Windows side SUCKED. They hadn't updated the Windows version for about 9 months at the time I was trying this. I wasted hours trying to get my VMs to work under the Windows version of Parallels. VMWare has excellent software for both platforms.

3) Snapshots. VMWare Fusion v2 now supports the same (similar) snapshot technology that their Windows Workstation product has, very nice.

6. sandman404 macrumors newbie

VMWare got my vote

I went with VMWare for the following reasons:

1) I work with other VMWare products and am used to the interface
    2) I believe it has a bigger support group/vendor - more likely to get development support and features (can anyone comment on Parallels?)
    3) It works with Bootcamp (the MAC feature that allows you to boot into either operating system) - e.g. you can 'run' your XP partition as a virtual machine!