VMWare problems

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Allan in T.Dot, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Allan in T.Dot macrumors member

Hi folks,

I have a 2013 MBP running Mavericks, specs are great including 16 GB ram. I have VMWare 7.0 and have Lion running as a virtual machine (my peripherals do not like Mavericks at all). But I have a couple of problems

(1) I'm trying to play a video in the VM and am getting audio but no video.
    (2) Cut and paste/drag and drop don't work (yes, I have it enabled in the isolation settings). It works when I'm running a Windows 7 VM though

2. chrfr macrumors 603

Video acceleration doesn't work in OS X virtual machines which will prevent many videos from playing properly. Make sure that you've installed the VMWare tools, I don't think that Fusion will prompt you in an OS X virtual machine, but drag and drop won't work without it.

3. Allan in T.Dot thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info.

Installed VMWare Tools...and that solved the screen resolution problems but surprisingly not the cut/paste and drag/drop.

Do you think that Parallels will help with the video playback or will this be across all VMs?

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

No consumer hypervisor (Parallels/VMware/VirtualBox) supports graphics acceleration for OS X clients.

You would have to use a bare-metal hypervisor like VMware ESXi and enable GPU pass-through to enable graphics acceleration in an OS X VM, but it's not worth the trouble, unless you need to run a lot of VMs at the same time.