VMWare Question - Possible for someone to know you on a Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Flybye, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Flybye macrumors regular

If you are in a Virtual OS, is there a way to detect the real OS you are in?

e.g. I have XP running in Fusion in SL. Is there anything that VMware might be doing to XP that would allow someone to realize (while connecting to them in XP) that I am in an OSX environment?

2. rowsdower macrumors 6502

Generally, no. The only thing is that the network connection inside of Fusion goes through OSX (sort of like a router). Depending on what you are connecting to, someone might be able to figure that out. If you are talking about loading a webpage, your computer will show up as XP in the server logs.

3. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

I am not too knowledgeable of VMWare, however when I did have it installed I could not control someone elses computer through MSN messenger. MSN messenger has the same ability as iChat. However, it only works when you are going through bootcamp and running it natively.

4. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

I'm not sure if someone can tell the host OS, but they can certainly tell if you're using a VM. An example is the Disney coupon printer driver. To print Disney coupons from their website (for like $10 off a Blu-Ray movie or something) they used to require a special print driver. It told me it needed Windows. So I fired up a VM and in both IE and FF in Windows the site said that the driver could not be installed in a virtual machine, that it needed to be a physical machine. So their site detected I was using a VM and wouldn't even let me get the print driver.

5. Flybye thread starter macrumors regular

Wow. Ok. So if a simple website can detect that you are using a virtual OS, then I'm sure any major IT department, can to.

So now the trick is how to fool anyone that it is not in a virtual state...