Vmware running hot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by danboy, Apr 3, 2013.

1. danboy macrumors newbie

I recently got vmware for my macbook pro to run matlab since I didn't find a matlab for mac. However, the fan is running hot and comes with a lot of noise.
    I was wonder why and how can I solve this problem.
    I changed my mac to SSD. here is my specification of my mac: attach

thank you guys

Attached Files:

2. simsaladimbamba

VMWare is CPU intensive, MatLab, if used properly, is CPU intensive too, thus more power is needed for the CPU, which generates more heat, which lets the fan spin faster. It is perfectly normal behaviour, replacing the HDD with an SSD will not lower temperatures significantly.

Those Macs in their heat - a sine of over-heating? - a short story by Mister GGJstudios

3. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

The solution, run MatLab in Bootcamp, AFAIK MatLab is very heavy on CPU.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

5. simsaladimbamba

I suppose it is in regard to the OP's statement, that s/he could not find MATLAB for Mac OS X?

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Perhaps, though its possible where the OP bought mathlab they didn't offer the OSX flavor. Just posting a series of links and a emoticon doesn't lend itself to discussion

7. Tesselator, Apr 3, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2013

Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Right, exactly. I used Matlab on OS X some myself in 10.6 long ago. They had at the time, just "fixed" things so that it ran smoothly. I guess the previous version(s) were having trouble plotting quickly on X11.

Folks that were using it for very heavy computations were still recommending using bootcamp but addressing a few gotchas I could match their speeds anyway (in OS X). But I was using it as an illustration tool to illustrate interactively some optical properties of camera lenses and how light works. I guess it's been nearly three years since I monkeyed with it tho so I dunno the current state of things other than skimming the info at those links I posted.

Another point that might be relevant is that Parallels Desktop seems more stable and robust to myself and other forum posters than Vmware. But again, my info here is pretty dated so I dunno the current situations. From the OP's concerns I guess it's still the case?

So three solutions seem to present themselves here. The native OS X version, running it on bootcamp, or switching over to Parallels.

It's indeed a Wild And Wicked World... :)

For you? Probably for everyone else it's fine I guess. This is the age of on-line ordering so if he's currently on the PC version he can cross-platform the lic through Mathworks easily enough. ;)

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My experience has been the opposite. While Parallels offers better performance then Vmware, I found it less stable.

Agreed either OSX or bootcamp is the ideal solution. I'm not sure if Parallels will help though.

9. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Probably right...

I think my first experience with MatLab was under Unix on an HP Workstation about 8 or 10 years back. I dug it. The printed manuals were just awesome. About a foot and half thick of them with all stacked up on a table. :) I guess it's probably PDF only these days?

10. chrise2 macrumors 6502

To the op, the Mac task manager is showing VMware at 100% CPU. Meaning the vm is doing something. If you go into task manager in windows, you'll see what specifically is using the CPU in the vm. If its matlab, then you're stuck. But if its something else, you might be able to fix it. I don't think parallels would help. If matlab is using a lot of CPU and ram, then bootcamp or a native Mac version of matlab is your answer.

11. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

That's what virtual machines do. The best you can do is install smcFanControl and turn the fans on to high to reduce the temperature.

Or run Windows natively in likely eliminate most of the issues you're having.

12. danboy thread starter macrumors newbie

I couldn't find a free version matlab for mac, that's why i spent 49 to buy a vmware. meanwhile, i can use windows as well

13. simsaladimbamba

Since MATLAB is not free for Windows, why should it be free for Mac OS X?