VMWare running slow

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by uplusd, May 15, 2008.

1. uplusd macrumors 6502

Hi,

My VMWare is running extremely slow and not only is Windows running slow but my entire system is as well. I have XP x64 installed as the guest operating system with 2 virtual CPUs assigned and 1.0GB ram. Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks

2. micsaund macrumors 6502

micsaund

Are you running the 2.0 Fusion beta? If so, you have debugging enabled and that slows it waaaay down.

Do you have enough RAM to give the VM 1GB and leave enough for your host? You should have at least 2GB on the host to allocate 1GB to the guest.

Do you really need 2 vcpus in the guest? Do you have enough CPUs on the host to keep it running if the guest is taking two?

I'm guessing you're over-commiting the RAM and/or CPUs. Reduce your VM's settings to something reasonable for your machine. 99% of the time, you do NOT need 2 vcpus in the VM (typically it's better to let the VM have one core and the host the other core in a dual-core machine).

Mike

3. uplusd thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm running 1.1.2. I have 4GB on my MB Pro. I have a dual-cure machine, I set it back to one CPU and I'll see how it runs. Also, do you recommend leaving Direct3D graphics acceleration on or off? I have 256MB VRAM.

4. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

As micsaund just stated its probably due to the fact that you allocated 2 rather than 1 vcpus/CPU to the guest OS,when i fist installed Fusion which was yonks ago i gave the VM two cores & was
    wondering why things were so slow. I asked the same thing as you and it indeed turned out to be the fact that id given the VM two cores,im guessing but you probably thought the same as i did
    when i first installed Fusion two's gotta be better than one right ?.As for the 3D graphics i leave mine on