VMware slowing my os x installation?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Soulstorm, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I have noticed that my computer is slower after installing fusion on my 10.5.6 OS X installation. I opened my Activity Monitor and saw the following processes among others:

vmnet-netifup
    vmnet-netifup
    vmnet-natd
    vmnet-dchpd
    vmnet-dchpd
    vmnet-bridge

Yes, there are duplicates. I suspect these processes were installed with fusion on my machine. What are those background processes, what do they do, and is it safe to disable them? How can I completely uninstall Fusion, along with these background processes? And how can I make my computer run faster without uninstalling Fusion?

2. gwerhart0800 macrumors 6502

The vmnet processes should not be doing much of anything until you run a VM. On my Mac Mini, they sit at 0% CPU as shown on the activity monitor when a VM is not running. They also consume a relatively small amount of memory. I will say that when Fusion is running a virtual machine, you will see significant CPU being allocated to running the VM ... even when the activity in the VM is basically idle. (By significant, I mean 10-20%.) But, that is the "cost" of using that capability.

If you are seeing a significant slow down and you are NOT actually running a VM, then you might need to look else where.