VMWare to Bootcamp Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lbecker34, May 11, 2012.

1. lbecker34 macrumors newbie

I am currently in the process of changing from VMware to Bootcamp. I have Microsoft Office installed on the Windows VM. My VM is running Windows XP Professional, but when I change over to bootcamp I am going to start running Windows 7.

After completely uninstalling VMware will I have to reinstall Microsoft Office or any other programs that I currently have on my Windows VM?

Also, anybody that has done this, feedback from your experience would be nice.

2. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

Most likely, yes.

VMware either creates a folder and installs the OS and other programs into that folder OR virtualizes an existing bootcamp partition. These two ways are separate from one another.

So, you will probably need to reinstall the applications and whatnot.

3. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

To add to the confusion,,, you can easily go physical to virtual (P2V) using VMware to migrate an existing Windows PC or bootcamp partition and ultimately dispose the original physical install. That begs the question can virtual to physical be done... Yes. It's much more complicated long process, but you could do it. However, since you are switching OSes to Windows 7 just start from scratch using the Bootcamp utility.

4. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Since the windows programs you have been using under vmware are installed in a virtual machine, yes you will have to install them on your bootcamp partition. The vmware virtual disk is simply a file in the Mac filesystem.

5. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I doubt there are any virtual to physical assistants. One would have to do everything manually which ultimately is more complicated and probably more prone to errors than just doing a complete new install of everything.

In theory this should work:
    Just installing a blank XP that boots fine.
    Overwrite all folders with the ones from the VM (Don't copy any of the hidden System files in C, as boot config must be undamaged).
    Install all drivers again or now for the first time.
    That should in theory give a virtual to physical conversion without any necessary reinstalls of Apps. Could be there are some problems though. Technically driver reinstalls should solve them but who knows I never tried it. For the OS it shouldn't feel much different than a major hardware change which usually isn't a problem.
    A blank OS install is necessary because you have to have some bootable system partition that is setup the right way and works. Even if there was an automatic assistant it would have to transfer all files from the VM image to some partition.

6. lbecker34 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, Thanks for all the input.

Another question - I am a student and I had the academic version of Microsoft Office installed on VMware. It has up to 3 installations. I have already installed it on my VM and another laptop.

So, by installing it on Windows 7 bootcamp will that take up my last installation of Microsoft Office?

7. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

What does your documentation say about the licenses? I'd think that since you are in essence uninstalling one of them by destroying the windows vm, you could re-use that license.

Refer to the documentation.