Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macloven

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
I'm running v 1.1.3 and everything is working fine. I run some tax applications, office 2003 and quickbooks through the bootcamp partition in VMware without any major problems.

I just read on the VMWAre site that doing the 2.0 update might require re-activation of windows etc and wondering if that has been anyone else's experience. As my MBP motherboard was replaced about a week ago, I've had to sit on the phone with Microsoft and Intuit getting everything re-activated. The on-line option no longer works as I've "used up" those activations and I'd rather not sit on the phone for a few more hours.

While some of the new features sound appealing, if I'm only running my bootcamp partition thru VMware, is it worth it? If I don't have to re-activate everything, I'd like to try it out.

Thanks,

Mark

jonahj

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2007
NJ
I upgraded to version 2.0 yesterday. Didn't have to reactivate my copy of windows xp professional.

quasinormal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Sydney, Australia.
I upgraded Vmware yesterday and didn't have to reactivate my OEM Vista Bootcamp install. Only problem was getting confused by the installation of the Vmware tools which you need to do to get the new 3D graphics support.

I have deleted and reinstalled my Vista partition a couple of times without reactivating by using Winclone.

Macloven

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
all encouraging, but with my re-activation issues it took a couple days before they were needed again. I'll have to look at Winclone and see what that's about. It seems that every app I'm using has the activation on-line issues but the VMware update sounds so appealing :D

mg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.