VMware Virtual Machine B/U

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Soundguyrob, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Soundguyrob macrumors newbie

Soundguyrob

Hi Guys, May be a dumb question but here goes. I would like to do a nuke/pave install of Mountain Lion when the time comes. I have a work machine w VMware and a WIN7 OS. (I boot 1x a week for 1 program)
    If I save the Virtual Machine file on a back up, can I add it back to the library and point a fresh install of VMware to use it? I am trying to avoid the entire re-load windows, office-etc. The reason I ask is the file is 30+GB so I wasn't sure if it is savable?
    We use a RDC into a mac server with windows log in, so the OS-X re-up is easy. Just mail accounts and pref's.
    Thanks, Rob

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, you can back up your vmware image file to another drive and then re-copy it back to your newly rebuilt machine.

I back up my windows 7 vmware container file all the time. Just make sure you shut the OS down and not keep it in a suspended state - makes it easier to restart.

I found that you can run into permissions issues if you don't use the same username as before so keep that mind.

3. Soundguyrob thread starter macrumors newbie

Soundguyrob

I thought so, makes sense anyway. Yes, I planned on leaving the user name/same. Thanks for the quick reply. Rob