VMWare with 2 Gig of RAM?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nph, Dec 2, 2008.

1. nph macrumors 6502a

Can I run VMWare with 2 Gig of RAM (my max in my MBP) if I dont run games etc?

I only run Office and some VPN software to be able to connect to my job.

Will it be ok?

Thanks

/Peter

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It'll be fine, you should be able to get away with giving the VM 768 or 1024MB RAM doing the tasks you describe.

More RAM will be better, but that'll work.

3. ale500 macrumors regular

I use it with 384 MB of ram assigned to it. The trick is to stop all services that are not needed, so you reduce the base to something like 64 MB. I do not know which VPN client do you need, but Cisco has a client for Mac that does a better job than it does on windows.

4. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

At work, I have 2GB ram and I'm sometimes running 2 virtual machines + Eclipse. Ok the system gets a bit slow but it runs ;)

5. Shawn Parr macrumors regular

I've run Fusion with 2GB RAM on my Macbook. I found that one virtual machine was usually fine, especially if it was 512MB RAM or less. However two would cause some slowdown, even if they each only used 128MB RAM.

The 2.0.1 update made this a bit better, but I still saw some issues with multiple VMs running at the same time.

But just one was totally fine. And if you are doing most of your work in the Mac and running things like Outlook or other specialty software you might not need your Windows VM to have as much RAM as you originally though.