VNC access to Ubuntu box

Discussion in 'macOS' started by serverpimp, Jan 16, 2012.

1. serverpimp macrumors newbie

Systems - Mac Mini running Lion Server & Ubuntu 11.10 Desktop

I am trying to manage a headless install of Ubuntu Desktop via my Mac Mini running Lion server. The odd thing is I can connect and see the Ubuntu desktop via Chicken of VNC, JollyFastVNC, and RealVNC but can not appear to make keyboard or mouse actions. Mac ScreenSharing launched from Finder just hangs.

I have two scenarios on the Ubuntu box I have tried with the same results. I used the native Ubuntu 'Desktop Sharing' application and I have installed the 'X11vnc Server' application. With both solutions and the clients listed above on the Mac I can see the Ubuntu screen and move the mouse but can not type or take action with the mouse. I have a temporary monitor on the Ubuntu Desktop and ironically I can see my actions of my Mac Mini mouse and keyboard. So the Mac is able to control the Ubuntu box but I don't see the action on my Mac screen, only the mouse moving around.

I tried Chicken of VNC on wife's Mac Air (Lion) and experienced the same results.

Any ideas of what to check/config?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I use TeamViewer, which works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and quite simple to set up and use (no messing around with ports), which comes in handy if providing remote support to those who aren't very computer literate. You can talk them through the setup on their end and be connected to them in less than a minute. It's also free for personal use.

3. serverpimp thread starter macrumors newbie

Simple enough and thanks for the idea. I'm familiar with this tool for supporting remote family members with Windoz issues. Now how do I get it to automatically start on the headless system after reboot; since I won't be able to log in. Teamview does not run as root so /etc/init.d isn't an option unless I can start the app as myself.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm not familiar enough with Ubuntu to help with that. I know it's simple to auto-launch TV on Windows and Mac OS X, so I'd be surprised if you couldn't do the same with another OS. You might need to attach a display long enough to configure things, then unplug it.

5. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

This is not really answering your question directly, but I use ssh to administer my linux boxes. If you have X11 based programs you need to run, just ssh with the -X option and X11 traffic will be tunneled over ssh.