Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glowrider

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
Title says it all. Need to get something to control my MacBook pro and macpro from the pad. Has to be able to access the finder, so not that wormhole thing.

Opinions appreciated.

Maximillian

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
iTap VNC - $8

Pros:
It works
Made for iPad

Cons:
No network browser
Other apps have SSH and other features beyond VNC

I don't know if I'd recommend it, but it's doing the job so far.

dobro03

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2009
Any other apps for controlling my mac tower via iPad? I need to be able to work on an open app on my tower from my iPad in another room.

Thanks.

CactusHawk

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2009
I use LogMeIn. It costs $29 bucks (i think) but it works well and gives me full control of my Mac or work PC.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
Using winadmin for RDP. Not totally sold on it..it works. But there are flaws. Click to drag is one such flaw.

mac-slap-happy

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2007
iTeleport (Jaadu VNC). Perfect out of the box. Use it to control my Mac and PC computers. Works great over local LAN, acceptable over Verizon MiFi.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
logmein

I use logmein. I hope they do another PROMO/DISCOUNT window at some point, I want to add it to another ipad.

The company was REAL nice though, if one had purchased for the iphone, they let you download the ipad version for FREE

sgough

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2007
Related Question

When using these clients, do they all cause PC hosts to "lockup"? Is there anyway to see what is on the PC host as you are controlling it with the IPAD? I am a teacher, and envisioned having my PC host attached to the projector and running programs from the Ipad

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Desktop Connect works for me.

+1 for Desktop Connect as well. With my 2 macs already configured for screen sharing at home, I was able to connect on my home network as soon as I opened the app--both macs showed up under the Shared tab. Haven't played with it much yet but so far had worked as advertised.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
When using these clients, do they all cause PC hosts to "lockup"? Is there anyway to see what is on the PC host as you are controlling it with the IPAD? I am a teacher, and envisioned having my PC host attached to the projector and running programs from the Ipad

i know that with logmein at least the other person can see all of hat u r doing OR u can blackout the screen if u like i like it for teaching things on the computer

glowrider

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
I picked up desktop connect. Can someone tell me how you click and drag or select multiple items? Thanks.

ipadking

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2010
CA
logmein.com and the logmein ignition app. Yes, its $30, but worth every penny. And the nice thing is that logmein app is universal binary, so just 1 purchase works both on ipad and iphone.

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
Can someone clarify for this for me?

Can I use an app like Desktop Connect outside of my own wifi network? For example, can I use it with the mobileme "back to my mac" service? Do I need a static IP address?

Thanks.

ipadking

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2010
CA
logmein works behind firewalls. The way it works is that a service is installed on your PC that you want to access, and the services talks out to the logmein servers, and relays that info to a browser or iphone/ipad app. In addition to the ipad/iphone app, you can use any browser to connect to your PC from anywhere. Nice thing is that logmein service is free for the basic service (i.e., no file transfers, no audio, etc ).

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
https

logmein works behind firewalls. The way it works is that a service is installed on your PC that you want to access, and the services talks out to the logmein servers, and relays that info to a browser or iphone/ipad app. In addition to the ipad/iphone app, you can use any browser to connect to your PC from anywhere. Nice thing is that logmein service is free for the basic service (i.e., no file transfers, no audio, etc ).

I think what logmein uses, is and https protocol, which of course is allowed through firewalls, since that is what the web uses for secure socket connections.

I have been able to get logmein to work on so many installations, in corporations, schools, and in very locked down environments without fail. Places where I could no way get RDC to work on win systems, or macs.

There are three levels of password security and encryption. A login, a device login and then the USER login at each device. All have to be known to gain access.

I think a lot of what they now impliment was from the Hamaichi acquisition a few years back. A similar service, but with more Mac emphasis

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.