VNC Apps or Remote clients with Video/Audio support? TV App?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Evev12, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Evev12 macrumors regular

Does anybody know if there are any VNC or any remote client apps out there that have audio/video support (whether it be resrticted only to MPEG-4 only or open to any other formats)? If anybody has any expeirence with them or any feedback please share. I'd love to be able to remotely access my PC and PREFERABLY watch my Slingbox/Orb streams, or at the very least, watch my itunes podcasts and videos. I know I'm dreaming here, but I'd also love to be able to do so without having to go through wi-fi. If anyone has any other creative ideas I'm all ears!

And when are we finally going to get some sort of mobile TV App? Anybody hear anything?

2. rizajj macrumors member

none of the current remote vnc/remote desktop apps support audio/video streaming.

Sling is supposedly developing an iPhone app but it's only been shown as a proof-of-concept--no release dates yet.

so, sorry, nothing yet. I have a feeling Simplify Media will eventually release a video player, considering how awesome the music player is.

3. meagain macrumors 68030

I've wanted this for over a year. I keep trying to think of a way around it. Getting that audio. I just want to see my screen via something like Teleport but get sound from something running on it. I don't understand how Simplfy Media works, etc. but I can't figure out why I couldn't do this. I don't need streaming media perse' just audio. In fact, I'd be happy with only streaming audio from anything running on my desktop via wifi while outside, etc.

I keep wondering if I could set up a microphone and pass the audio through 'something'?

4. CarlsonCustoms macrumors 6502

I would really like to have mobile tv becuase a guy at work has a LG voyager with verizon mobile tv and he says becuase of that its better then the iphone, even though his phone stinks other then that.

even with his mobile tv he has to pull out a dorky metal antenna to get it to work.

5. Evev12 thread starter macrumors regular

Well I do know that Apple just recently filed a patent for a mobile TV streaming app, who knows when we'll se it though - my guess is when the Android phones are released (end of this year or begining of next) as Apple's gonna have to keep up with the competition.

What about 3G, can I use Teleport, Mocha or WinAdmin over 3g alone? I swear I remember reading that it's possible but all attempts last night failed.

6. rubdom macrumors member

7. Luminator macrumors member

If you have web experience or know someone that does, this can be done with little effort. I've setup an internal web site on my home XP desktop that will list all my movies on that machine. To access them, I open up safari on the iphone and point to my web site (http://192.168.1.5/StreamingVideos). Once I select the movie I want, the machine will stream it to the iphone and start playing it.
    Here's a link to get you started:http://homepage.mac.com/qt4web/embedforiphone.html

The important key is to encode the movies for quick time compatibility.

8. ekasbury macrumors newbie

Seems a bit rough and who knows if it could truly work, but have you considered Skyping yourself with a VNC window open? I'm gonna give it a try right now myself.

9. Nobody62 macrumors newbie

If you plug an 3.5 mm aux cable into the microphone and headphone jacks then leave skype calling in the background and view the computer over VNC you will have audio.

10. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin