VNC for mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by obster, Oct 7, 2009.

1. obster macrumors newbie

Hi All

i have a windows machine at work running VNC and i want to connect to it with my MAC. is there a VNC client i can use? as the VNC client that the windows machine isnt on mac. i can change the VNC clint on the windows Machine if needed just woundering is there a VNC Clint that will work for viewing windows and mac machines?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Chicken of the VNC is what I use to connect between Macs with Remote Desktop's VNC Access turned on. I would try that. If you want to use the PCs Remote Desktop system, goto http://www.microsoft.com/mac/ and download Remote Desktop to connect to any PC with remote desktop enabled.

TEG

3. chown33 macrumors 604

4. devburke Guest

OS X (starting with Leopard) has VNC built in. From Finder, go to Go > Connect to Server… and type in the address (make sure you precede it with “vnc://“)

5. disfasia macrumors newbie

Help .... Going Bald

I have been stuck with a Chicken VNC problem--suddenly it stopped working. I was convinced I had done something, and I finally got it to work. Then it stopped again. I even removed the Airport variable:

MacbookPro 10.5.8, ethernet to work, pbook, 10.3. I have tried everything, fixing internal ip.... not fixing it...nothing is working.

Help before I look like Kojak. :)

Thanks.

6. jointsmoking macrumors regular

I recommend Jolly Fast. It's fast, it's regularly updated - I've been using it quite a while and couldn't be more pleased.

7. disfasia macrumors newbie

I am trying JollyFast but it is not connecting as well.

What should my settings be? Also, I have to go in through vpn which used to work with Chicken...

I have fixed my internal ips on my mac. Is this correct?

Thanks.

8. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

OK, so I had used Chicken of the VNC before and liked it. Well, now that I have Tiger again on my PowerBook, I needed a VNC client for Screen Sharing so I naturally went with CotVNC.

I found a small issue - apparently you can't scale the screen resolution of the machine you're viewing to fit a smaller display. For example, my iMac is 1440x900. My PowerBook is 1280x854. To view my iMac with the PowerBook, I had to scroll back and forth. Maybe I overlooked the option, but I couldn't find an option to scale.

So I tried Jollys. Works great, and can scale the screen to any size I want (I chose half-size, then dragged the corner to make it bigger (about 2/3 size or so). Connects fast and runs fast - can't complain. Its almost as smooth running as Apple's Screen Sharing app.

9. disfasia macrumors newbie

Can you tell me how to set up my computer? I have file sharing on, tcp/ip fixed, dns from my isp listed, ...it is not working? And then I put on dhcp as usual..nothign workds.

I put in my work network address and nothing. I am so upset--three days of my life, gone. It shouldn't be this difficult.

10. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Sorry... I've only done it in house, and every work network is a bit different. I connect to my Mac at work using www.logmein.com. Works like a charm.

11. disfasia macrumors newbie

Yes, I am beginning to think Logmein is the best option. It is just weird how Chicken of the VNC worked for months and then suddenly stopped. Might this be a Mac Update issue? Adn can Logmein get through work routers and such? And can you touch and manipulate your desktop?

Thanks.

12. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

My school compute is an iMac connected to a Windows Active Directory server. I have to log in/out with my name and password to the server. I can log in, log out, reboot, etc. with logmein.com and everything works fine. You can access your desktop just like you're sitting at it, albeit slowly. You can even use the peripherals (printer, camera, etc.) - I even used my iSight camera once to see if I left my coat at school (I had).

13. disfasia macrumors newbie

Thanks so much! And that's a great anecdote! I will now let go of the vnc issues here. I think there is a greater problem using VNC with Chicken from older OS versions to the current 10.5+ versions.

You have sold me :) Thanks again!