VNC: How To Access Macbook w/ iPod Touch Away From Home?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by HappyDude20, Nov 29, 2008.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

BTW, I have the VNC Lite App, hope this can be a tool.

I like to leave my Macbook at home and when i'm at my friends house from far away I'd love to be able to access my Macbook using my iPod Touch. My friends house is 20 miles away and would love to say, obtain a contact from address book or send myself a forgotten essay doc. file, but most importantly would love to be able to open Photo Booth and take a photo of my living room where my Mac rests to see if anyone is home.

With the VNC Lite app I can access my Macbook and even send something to myself or yes, even open Photo Booth and take a photo of my living room...when I'm at home and both my iPod Touch & Macbook are under my secured wifi network.

I'm wondering how I can get this to work when I'm out and about like my friends house under his wifi network, and my MAcbook back at home under my home wifi network.

I honestly would not be asking if I knew what I was doing yet figured I ask you guys.

2. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Mmmm?

I'd like to hope I'm not the only one that would like to access their mac away from home and send themselves a forgotten file or begin to download some important file to be completed by the time you get home.

3. zero.fx macrumors member

i have the VNC program the full version too, works like a dream when i m at home under my own wifi havent had a chance to try it at another hotspot yet but would love to know weather this is possible too.

4. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on the subject. I still haven't figured out how to accomplish this. As I'd love to leave my Macbook open at home and be able to see my Macbook screen on my Touch when I'm out and about..

I began reading on the matter and guess I have to open up port 5900 on my home router, which is provided by Charter Communications to connect to my home computer...and since I'm using Airport Express for WiFi here at home i'm wondering if I'd have to open up a port or something to access it as well so that could connect to my Macbook under that WiFi network here at home. Again, I'm still confused on the matter.

Any help is appreciated. This would help out exponentially.

5. zero.fx macrumors member

Shouldn't need To configure anything port 5900 is by defult in mac and all I did was made sure shearing was on it was really easy to set up no need to download real vnc or anything like that

6. svndmvn Guest

you're referring to the connection from another wifi router,right?
    how did you manage to find the ip and such?

7. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

1. Sign up for a dynamic dns account - www.dyndns.com

2. Install their helper application - http://www.dyndns.com/support/clients/ - on your MacBook. This will keep your ISP-assigned IP address up to date with the host name you choose in step 1.

3. Open port 5900 on your airport extreme using the port forwarding option.

One thing I'm not sure about ... do you have two routers? If so, you'll have to open 5900 on both.

You can test this at home - once you have a host name from www.dyndns.com, use it in your VNC client on your iPhone. This will route the connection out of your home network and attempt to get back in. You can see if your changes work.

8. linkycat macrumors member

Very useful information, I haven't tried it yet... but cool!