Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnowenrichard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2011
South Wales, UK
Hey! Had a problem thats been annoying me for a while now so decided to seek help :)

I have been using VNC to connect from my macbook to iMac, which works fine. But I decided to try and see if I could get it working over the internet instead of just locally.
I have tried using Chicken of the VNC and connecting through Connect to Server, to my IP but it doesn't want to work. I have also port forwarded 5900 on my router to the iMac so Chicken should work. Firewall on the iMac is off and the sharing for VNC is enabled.

Anyone have any ideas what this could be? I just get connection refused when I try to connect, it works perfectly just connecting over lan. Thanks for the help!

ScoobyMcDoo

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Either you are trying to connect to the wrong IP, or the port forwarding isn't set up correctly. How did you go about finding your external IP address?

You might consider using a service like logmein, which alleviates the need of port forwarding.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I prefer using TeamViewer, which works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and quite simple to set up and use.

johnowenrichard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2011
South Wales, UK
Thanks for the replies! Il check out that TeamViewer, see if I can get that working.
I am pretty sure the port forwarding is set up correctly for the VNC port. (But it does seem a forwarding issue like you say. The reason I am not using logmein, is because I want to sleep my computer when i'm away from it and when I start doing that logmein does some crazy things. Even though it says it can hand WOL, it just crashes my browser a few times and doest know my computer is in sleep mode.

To find my ip I am just using whatsmyip.org but i have dyndns set up and I am also trying to use the url.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.