vnc os x lion to windows 7

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Denise Bassclar, May 5, 2012.

1. Denise Bassclar macrumors newbie

I am wondering if anyone knows of a product that will allow me to remotely access my desktop with window 7 from my new macbook air with LION?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I use TeamViewer, which is free for personal use and works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and quite simple to set up and use (no messing around with ports), which comes in handy if providing remote support to those who aren't very computer literate. You can talk them through the setup on their end and be connected to them in less than a minute. I prefer it over LogMeIn because it includes free file transfers between computers, a feature I use frequently.

3. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

TightVNC is free and works well under certain conditions.

Depending on which version of Windows you own, you may be able to use built in Remote-Desktop functionality. Then you could use something like CoRD or Microsoft's own OS X RDP Client.

Which version of Windows are you using? Are you trying to do this from a remote location or just inside your own network at home?

4. Denise Bassclar thread starter macrumors newbie

VNC LION to Windows 7 pro

I am using Windows 7 Pro on the desktop that I want to access with my new macbook air that has os x Lion. I wasn't sure how to begin, but I already installed Chicken for VNC (The sourceforge ) on my mac. I contacted microsoft about their RDP because it specifically says it don't work with Lion. If I have chicken on mac then do i need something on the windows computer?

----------

I am doing this over my home network.

5. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

Since you have Win7 Pro, I would take advantage of its built-in RDP functionality.

Check out this link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Remote-Desktop-Connection-frequently-asked-questions

Specifially, the second heading: "How do I allow remote connections on the computer I want to connect to?"

This will turn on the RDP service on your Windows machine.

Then, you need to install CoRD or Microsoft's RDP client on your Macbook Air, and use it to connect to your Windows machine. If you need help doing that, let us know.

6. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I've been using MS's RDP every day for months on Lion. I'm using it right now. One thing I've found though is it won't connect using a computer name, only with an IP address. I don't know if that's a Lion thing or it's always been an issue, since I've never used an earlier Mac OS.

It's free with little config needed, so why not go try it? I also use it remotely with Logmein Hamachi.

7. Denise Bassclar thread starter macrumors newbie

VNC LION to Windows 7 pro with MS RDP

Thanks for your response. Do I install the MS product on my mac?

8. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Yes, here's a download link for it:

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/remote-desktop-client

A bonus with this, as opposed to some remote solutions is that the resolution of the Windows desktop will match the size and shape of your MBA's display.

9. Denise Bassclar thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I just finished installing and testing it. It works pretty well. Not quite as well as windows to windows. But I am happy now after a day of frustrating searches. I do find that the display of the application from the Windows computer is not quite as long. I can't quite get to the very bottom of the page. But happy enough.

Many Thanks!

10. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Try pressing command-1

11. Denise Bassclar thread starter macrumors newbie

I am having trouble with the remote freezing up and getting a black screen. Have you had this trouble?

12. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

No, I have a specific problem with MS Access managing to eat up memory on my Mac, but my home PC is connected via RDP virtually all the time.

13. Denise Bassclar thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I wasn't clear. On my Mac the remote screen freezes to black. The actual remote PC is fine. Maybe I'm having a memory problem too.

14. Alexandr1plus macrumors newbie

I have used http://www.onlinevnc.com. It has good Windows 7 server and ability to access it from web browser under any platfrom with Flash installed. So it allow me without problem access my second Windows 7 PC from MacBook Air and Moziila Browser.