Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
I activated the VNC server (the one built-in to OS X, "Apple Remote Desktop" sharing item) on my wife's MacBook and then connected to it using Chicken of the VNC on my iMac, which is right on the next desk. Both computers are wired into my gigabit network.

The performance is hideous. It's been a long time since I used any sort of VNC or remote desktop, but I know it wasn't this bad. I reduced the colors to Thousands in the client settings but it didn't help at all. The lag is awful. I'm not having speed problems with file transfers, so it's not my network. Any ideas?

mrwizardno2

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
Columbus, OH
I activated the VNC server (the one built-in to OS X, "Apple Remote Desktop" sharing item) on my wife's MacBook and then connected to it using Chicken of the VNC on my iMac, which is right on the next desk. Both computers are wired into my gigabit network.

The performance is hideous. It's been a long time since I used any sort of VNC or remote desktop, but I know it wasn't this bad. I reduced the colors to Thousands in the client settings but it didn't help at all. The lag is awful. I'm not having speed problems with file transfers, so it's not my network. Any ideas?

I can't say that I've ever seen VNC perform anywhere near RDC does for windoze. Unfortunately, I've come to just expect and "deal with" the poor performance of VNC for connecting to my macs.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Thats weird because the built in VNC in Leopard performance is very good on a g wireless network, so i could only imagine it would improve with a gigabit connection.

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2007
It works with amazing clarity on my 11meg wireless. Good enough I could even watch a dvd play in hi res without noticing much degradation, which is pretty damn amazing, IMO.

I'm using leopards built in remote on all machines though, it may be an issue with using different products on either end.

mrwizardno2

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
Columbus, OH
It works with amazing clarity on my 11meg wireless. Good enough I could even watch a dvd play in hi res without noticing much degradation, which is pretty damn amazing, IMO.

I'm using leopards built in remote on all machines though, it may be an issue with using different products on either end.

I'm glad it works so well for you. Surely watching a DVD remotely is just a tad over the top, though. I honestly doubt VNC's ability to display that much data so rapidly. Would be an interesting test though. I assume you've not really tried this, right?

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2007
I'm glad it works so well for you. Surely watching a DVD remotely is just a tad over the top, though. I honestly doubt VNC's ability to display that much data so rapidly. Would be an interesting test though. I assume you've not really tried this, right?

Yes, I watched about 10 minutes of a movie just out of amazement that it worked so well. You get no sound, but the picture is a lot better than I expected.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
I HATE VNC. It is basically useless to me. I did the same as you and set it up and it is usable on my network at home, but trying to use it remotely over the internet is a complete waste of time. This is one area where Microsoft excels. Remote Desktop is really great in my opinion.

Rotary8

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2006
I'm a complete nub with the whole VNC thing and recently installed ARD so I can control my macbook pro when i'm away. The speed is decent enough over a Wifi connection though, I have yet to test it out when I'm out in the world. I will once my sprint EVDO comes back to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.