VNC remote desktop question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by naesy1, Aug 19, 2011.

1. naesy1 macrumors member

I am going to college next week and I am going to have my MacBook Pro in the dorm at all times and am going to carry around the MacBooks that my college provides us to classes and such. I was wondering what the best VNC program is to have a remote connection to my MacBook in my dorm room. There is wifi on the campus everywhere, but they wouldn't be on the same network, so i'm not sure how that would work. I was thinking Screens VNC Client from the mac app store

2. Steelgrave macrumors member

Steelgrave

OSX has "Screen Sharing" built in, so no need to setup VNC (although I "think" it's an implementation of VNC). I use it on my air to get on my macpro at home, works great.

Just make sure you make it secure. You can even google "ssh tunnel screen sharing" and do it that way.

3. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I like teamviewer. You put the teamviewer client/server on the Mac in your dorm room and connect to it from teamviewer on the Macbook that your college provides. Screens is nice and everything but teamviewer is free for non commercial use. There are also teamviewer apps for iPhone and iPad. As of today, Lion (including 10.7.1) has a bug which prevents some third party VNC apps from working properly when connecting to a Mac running multiple displays. Teamviewer gets around this but screens would still be affected by the bug.

4. naesy1 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! That seems to work really well! I'll have to try it when I get my other mac.

5. juniormaj macrumors regular

juniormaj

I agree. No need for a third party solution. Screen Sharing works great. I've used it from locations around the world.