Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonD25

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
Hi. I've been using OSXVNC for a little, and I can't seem to ever connect when I really want to. Sometimes when I have my laptop out on campus, I want to connect to my desktop. It works when I have OSXVNC open and the window open and my laptop sitting right next to my desktop. But if I ever actually really need to use it, it doesn't work. Is there any way to make OSXVNC run in the background without it actually being open?

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
When your laptop is next to your desktop, how is it connecting? It's possible that while you're out and about, the campus routers aren't allowing VNC port traffic, effectively blocking your attempts to get to your machine.

OSXVNC should run if you start the server and close the window. But I sometimes have problems with that as well and leave the app open. It really isn't that obtrusive.

JonD25

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
Both are connecting wirelessly. It should be working, because it works when I want to connect to my laptop from a different computer. My laptop is a Dell and my desktop is an iMac, but I know that shouldn't be a problem because it's worked for me before. I guess I'll try leaving the window up next time and see if it works.

BTW, are there any other alternitives besides OSXVNC for a VNC server that might be better?

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
JonD25 said:
Both are connecting wirelessly. It should be working, because it works when I want to connect to my laptop from a different computer. My laptop is a Dell and my desktop is an iMac, but I know that shouldn't be a problem because it's worked for me before. I guess I'll try leaving the window up next time and see if it works.

BTW, are there any other alternitives besides OSXVNC for a VNC server that might be better?

You could activate Apple Remote Desktop if you're running Tiger on your iMac. Use any VNC client with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.