VNC server options

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sephseph, Dec 12, 2011.

1. sephseph macrumors newbie

sephseph

Apart from the default screen sharing that's built into Lion, can anyone recommend any VNC servers for Lion?

I access my Macbook from a Windows 7 computer at work through RealVNC. The built in screen sharing works fine, but there are a couple of options missing that I think would be useful, namely
    • File transfer between viewed and viewing computers
    • Option to change screen colour/switch to greyscale when viewing screen in order to increase the speed
    Does anything like this exist? I can only find VNC clients that let one view other computers through the mac.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd recommend LogMeIn over VNC, its free for personal use and is faster and more stable then VNC. There's also GotoMyPC, but they charge, I use that for work. I like it better then Logmein, but as stated its not free.

3. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Apple Remote Desktop.

I think they're still making it.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, but it costs money and requires a bit more work to configure the router for port forwarding if you want to access the computers from the internet

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I use TeamViewer, which works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and quite simple to set up and use.... and it's free for personal use. I prefer it over LogMeIn because it includes free file transfers between computers, a feature I use frequently.

6. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Make that 2 votes for TeamViewer. Cross Platform, easy setup, free for personal use. VPN, Transfer, Remote Control, Screen Sharing, Video Chat, etc. All in one package. Can't beat it.

7. dazzer21 macrumors 6502

LogMeIn

I use the free LogMeIn system. Works absolutely fine for what I need from work to home and vice versa (works very well and as I have two identical iMacs at either end, I don't need to worry about working on a re-scaled screen). I also have a copy of Cyberduck open constantly on each, so peer-to-peer file sharing is done in that way. You can reduce the colour settings to increase speed but I don't think that, unless you have a gigabyte internet connection :D there will be much remote Photoshopping going on...

8. BadaBing!! macrumors 6502

BadaBing!!