VNC software for wifi-only access?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by CoffeeMonkey, Dec 15, 2011.

1. CoffeeMonkey macrumors regular

I'm looking for a VNC program to control a MacMini through my iPad. I only need to use it over WiFi, so something like iTeleport is overkill.

Does anyone have a favorite?

2. Benbikeman macrumors 6502a

Benbikeman

Screens is my favourite, though Mocha VNC Lite is a cheaper alternative that also works well.

3. Lagranger macrumors member

My current favorite VNC client is Remoter. It has a lot of features and is inexpensive. It uses an interesting mouse/pointer control -- a 'virtual onscreen trackpad' which some folks really like (and others don't)

4. 1pad macrumors newbie

Splashport works well for me from my iPad2 to my Coreduo mac mini.

It's about $2, needs no account, just install the appropriate software on your mini (works for wintel too).

Before I bought this I installed, but didn't try, Teamviewer. I decided to try that today, but deleted it before even actually testing, as I don't want yet another "account" created. It's no doubt very good, but for my (& perhaps your) needs Splashtop works really well, even video looks ok.

HTH

5. Benbikeman macrumors 6502a

Benbikeman

You shouldn't need to install any software, just switch on screen sharing and remote login in your system preferences.

6. 1pad macrumors newbie

Presumably that option works ok with "Screens"? It appears that Splashtop does need its own server installed, & in fact probably uses extensions to VNC, or is completely proprietary, as it transfers audio as well, even keeping in sync with the video:) Additionally, it auto adjust the mac's screen resolution, & restores it on exit.

I see Screens is rather dearer than Splashtop, so if it appears on sale sometime, I'll try it out. Splashtop also works fine on the rare occasions I need to connect to Windows, & for the price seems good value.

Interestingly, using Splashtop has been the first time I've thought a bluetooth keyboard could be handy on an iPad, as the on-screen keyboard "pushes up" the target screen so half of it is blocked when entering characters. However, even just having a BT keyboard connected gives the facility of a single line of useful keypresses available to touch at the very bottom of the screen, which isn't intrusive.

As there are so many vnc clients available, I suppose ultimately, it depends what features the OP is looking for .........