VNC: Switch from "Screen Sharing" to "Remote Mgmt" remotely

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ancandis, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Ancandis macrumors member

Ancandis

How do you change the VNC method from "Screen Sharing" to "Remote Management" remotly?

When controlling a Mac remotely using Screen Sharing and want to switch do Remote Management, I first have to disable "Screen Sharing" in the system preferences.

Now I can't activate Remote Management because the connection will be lost instantly.

How do you switch this setting via terminal without losing the connection? Thanks.

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Test this on your own local machine:

It looks like you can click on Remote Management, the window sheet comes down asking what options you want available to "All Users" and after you click ok on that, it will enable Remote Management and Disable Screen Sharing. Thus it seems that you can do just enough to do what you need done in the GUI before the connection is killed.

3. Ancandis thread starter macrumors member

Ancandis

Thank you, it worked!

Obviously it only works this way (Screen Sharing to Remote Mgmt.) but not the other way (what I actually experienced).

With Remote Mgmt. activated, "Screen Sharing" is greyed until you deactivate Remote Mgmt. what will kill your VNC connection.

Any solution for going to Screen Sharing without losing the connection?