VNC to other user

Discussion in 'macOS' started by VPrime, Feb 22, 2010.

1. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

I want to set up my mac mini as a media center and a small home server (file server, and a web server)
    But what I want to do is have 2 user accounts, one for the media center (running boxee) and one for the server side of things.

What I am wondering is, can I have the media center user account logged in and running then use VNC to connect to the other account?
    Basically I want to run both users at the same time but from different locations that way if some one is watching a movie, I can do what ever I need with out interfering with their movie.

I know I can use SSH and pretty much do things through the terminal, but I would sometimes like to do things visually over vnc.

edit:
    also my mac mini isn't here yet so I can't test it out until Friday when it is supposed to be here.

2. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

I think you will have to use OS X Server to accomplish that.

3. VPrime thread starter macrumors 68000

VPrime

After some googling, I found that using a third part vnc server (not the built in screen sharing)
    and have fast user switching on and log into each account and have the vnc server running on each will let me log in to that specific account..

Does any one know if the same thing will work with screen sharing? Could I just enable screen sharing for each user and log in that way?

Better yet, could I have a single user with an app running (boxee), then me connect via vnc (or some other way) to the same user and see the desktop instead of boxee and not interact with boxee at all but do my own thing?