VNC via ethernet to control mini from G5?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LGKDude, Feb 16, 2008.

1. LGKDude macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to control my intel mac mini from my PPC G5 via VNC, but really have no clue what I'm doing. My goal is to be able to load programs on the mac mini from my G5 via ethernet. Anyone mind stepping me through this process? I've downloaded Chicken of the VNC, but dont really now how to set it up (and the manual assumes a knowledge of VNC). Both computers are running OSX 10.4.11.

Thanks in advance for your help and reply!

2. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

This is actually easier than you'd imagine it being. There's just no quick guide to tell you, so here goes. The EASIEST way to do this would be to install Leopard on both computers. But here's how to do it with tiger.

Open up System Preferences on your Mini, go to Sharing. Tick Remote Management. Now go to Advanced, or Settings I can't remember what it's called. There should be a tickbox that says "VNC viewers may control screen using this password". Enter a password and click OK. Now you need to know the IP address of your Mini. I find this out by clicking on "File Sharing" in the Sys Prefs > Sharing window. Should be something like 192.168.X.X or something.

OK now open up Chicken of the VNC on your G5. There's a list of servers on the left - it might have auto-found you mini. If it does - sweet! Click on it, then type in your password and click connect. You can tell it to remember your password if you want.

If it doesn't auto-find your Mini, put it's IP address in the Host: box.

That should work. The only thing I'm unsure about is the Sys Prefs>Sharing bit as I'm on Leopard here and I can't remember what it says in Tiger. Good luck!

3. LGKDude thread starter macrumors newbie

THIS IS SO COOL! Thank you very much for your help! Its working perfectly!