VNC? Want to use MBP to connect to work PC...Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by thouts, Jan 26, 2009.

1. thouts macrumors regular

thouts

Wondering what is the best way to view my work PC with Windows XP and work with programs on it. I've heard mac's come with some VNC software already...not sure what it is...and what do I need to put on my work PC?

also...there are files on our work network that I will need to access...is this a problem?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Leopard has a built-in VNC client. In Finder, Go -> Connect to Server, and enter your target's address as vnc://IPADDRESS:pORT/. Running Tiger, JollysFastVNC gets the job done as well.

I don't know anything about VNC servers on Windows, but I do know that your Windows PC will need to be connectable and logged in at all times. Since your work machine is probably on a network without the option of opening ports, the only way to do this would be through a VPN. You may even be able to initiate a VPN connection to a computer at home and connect to that with the VNC server. I don't know much about running VPN servers either, but that might be an avenue worth pursuing.

Long story short: it'll be a lot of work to set up.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

LogMeIn

Search on macupdate.com or versiontracker.com
    for Windows Remote Desktop, but this is harder if you don't have your IT dept set up ports.

4. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

VPN + remote desktop client from Mactopia.

That's all you need - enable remote access on the XP PC.

The OS X remote desktop client is inferior to the Windows version (like most OS X equivalent software) but it works - and will work better than VNC for the most part.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian