Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
My fitness level is approximately the same as a friend of mine who is using a Garmin watch. My AW gives me 48 Vo2Max. His Garmin gives him 55. That's a significant difference. And the reason I say we are really similar is because whenever we do a run of similar pace, we have a similar HR average, and our age gap is small.

AW always underestimates Vo2Max compared to Garmin watches, that's for sure. But I don't know which one is more accurate compared to an actual Vo2Max test.

However when I check my Vo2Max values using a Cooper test in the track, it's much much much closer to the Garmin number.

Depending on the Garmin, it’s probably because Garmin actually takes elevation gain and heat into consideration with vO2 max estimates. Apple does not. So if you’re running in really hot weather or on a steep route, it thinks you’re less fit.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Sometimes the harder I workout the worst my V02 gets so I stopped using it.
Same here. Maybe I should forget about the VO2max score as well.
In fact, I was planning to gift myself a full physical test for my birthday, but didn't get to it.
Perhaps next year ;-)

blinker

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2010
My guess is that, as someone already pointed out, most people don't even know what VO2max is, so Apple doesn't bother to prioritize it. Not the simplest thing to explain in any but the broadest terms, so not worth development time.

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
My fitness level is approximately the same as a friend of mine who is using a Garmin watch. My AW gives me 48 Vo2Max. His Garmin gives him 55. That's a significant difference. And the reason I say we are really similar is because whenever we do a run of similar pace, we have a similar HR average, and our age gap is small.

AW always underestimates Vo2Max compared to Garmin watches, that's for sure. But I don't know which one is more accurate compared to an actual Vo2Max test.

However when I check my Vo2Max values using a Cooper test in the track, it's much much much closer to the Garmin number.

My apple watch and Garmin are pretty much the same for v02 max, garmin has me at 56 and apple is 55.2.

Reactions: arc of the universe

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
Same here. Maybe I should forget about the VO2max score as well.
In fact, I was planning to gift myself a full physical test for my birthday, but didn't get to it.
Perhaps next year ;-)
I feel the same - slow easy runs and it goes up. Tough intense runs and it goes down 😵‍💫

Reactions: PaladinGuy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.