VOB --> Edit --> VOB

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tonylinde, Oct 12, 2008.

1. tonylinde macrumors newbie

Apologies if this has been answered before but I searched on 'VOB' and found lots of threads but none exactly what I want.

I am recording stuff from cable (VirginMedia V+ in UK) which I then transfer to DVD (recorded in EP format, so ~4 hours on DVD) - it turns up in TS/VOB format (whatever that means). All I want to do is edit out the adverts and put the uninterrupted programme(s) back onto DVD in the same VOB/TS format so that it plays on our DVD players (sometimes 1-2 films, sometimes 4-5 TV programmes).

Can people recommend the best software to do this (free - $100), preferably all in the same app. I've seen Toast recommended - will this do it all? If not, any others?

Thanks,
    Tony.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If you record your cable TV programme, why don't you edit it before you put it on DVD?

Video_TS folder and .vob files are the standard structure of a Video DVD.
    The video on such DVD is encoded with MPEG2, a very high compression codec.

So if you convert from .vob to something editable, cut out some stuff, export that stuff/recode it, you'll get image quality loss.

If you still have/want to go your route, go over to the Digital Video sub-forum of this board, there are a lot of threads concerning your query.

3. tonylinde thread starter macrumors newbie

V+ has no editing features, nor does the machine I'm recording through.

Will head on over to the other forum - thanks.