VOB to FCP timeline with minimum quality loss

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jorjo, Aug 19, 2008.

1. jorjo macrumors newbie

Hi everybody, it's my first time here.

I bought an iMac two months ago to be able to edit, among others, a showreel with my camerawork. I am very happy with it, specially with it's miracolously silent ways, but I didn't expect the difficulty of format conversion. Most of the stuff I have to edit is on DVD, that is VOB files. Can anyone tell me what is the optimal way to get these archives on to your FCP timeline with minimal quality loss?

I have allready achieved good results converting the VOB files into satisfactory MPEG-4 MOV files, but that won't run on my timeline. What is the right format or file type to convert to?

I will keep on trying and learning, but I shure would appreciate some help.

Thanks

2. -DH macrumors 65816

Use MPEG Streamclip (freeware) to convert the DVD's VOB files to the QuickTime format that matches your FCP Sequence settings. For example, if your FCP Sequence is DV NTSC, 48khz, 16 bit, then in MPEG Streamclip convert to QuickTime using the Apple DV NTSC codec, with 48khz, 16 bit audio.

-DH

3. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

Damn I'm sick of this question.

Mods need to watch this sub-forum and tell all these noobs to search for any of the countless times this has been asked, or to RTFM.

4. jorjo thread starter macrumors newbie

Many thanks for your help. I understand many of you have been through this stage ages ago.

MPEG Streamclip WAS my first choice, but it didn't work for me, because I needed an MPEG2 Component. Then I tried ffmpegX, and I got some results, but none that FCP would accept.

I'll go back to MPEG streamclip and follow that line of work.

5. -DH macrumors 65816

If you have FCP installed (or Compressor or DVD-SP), you already have the MPEG-2 Component needed.

-DH

6. jorjo thread starter macrumors newbie

See, now that, I don't really understand. Thanks anyway, I'll keep on trying.