VOB to Quicktime Converter... handbrake won't work

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by whyrichard, Apr 7, 2011.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Hey,

I made a few dvd's of artwork a few years ago, and am trying to get them to quicktime... but for some reason handbrake can't handle them... gives me a file that seems unusable.

however, when i open up the VTS_01_1_VOB file in VLC it works...

Question: how to convert a VOB file to a quicktime file?

thanks,

r.

2. VideoCave macrumors member

capturing dvd

If Handbrake can't convert the dvd to a type of quicktime as well as anything else like "Cinematize or RipIt".

A workaround can be to get a video screen capture software like "iShowU"
    and play video normally then just capture as it plays

3. Brucewl macrumors 6502

Brucewl

I remember there is an free video converter for mac which named Leawo free mac video converter, you can download it and try to solve your problem. Here is the home page: http://www.leawo.com/free-mac-video-converter/. You can find the free version close the bottom of this page.:D

4. rhkamra macrumors member

I recommend MPEG Streamclip for this. It is free and cross platform.

5. Soura2112 macrumors 6502

Try...

Rip it is great, may work.

Seems you already have the video.TS folder which I would assume Mactheripper would create. If not maybe try Mactheripper, I'm not 100% sure on the formats nor size so that my reason to try Mactheripper since everyone else mentioned a way to help out.

6. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Yes, MPEGStreamclip will do the job. Handbrake is for getting video off of DVDs rather than a converter.

7. simsaladimbamba

OP, do you mean the .mov container with "QuickTime"?

Handbrake currently only supports the .mkv, .m4v and .mp4 containers, .m4v primarily used in iTunes, and .mp4 also used in QuickTime Player, but it is not the "standard" QT container.
    Cinematize offers the .mov and the .dv container, though it costs 60 USD.
    RipIt only transcodes videos into iTunes/iPod/Apple TV compatible formats.​

Honestly, that looks like a SPAMMED software, one of many similar applications though it does support the .dv and .mov container, but it has a slight spelling error in its "Convert" window ('remained' instead of remaining). And it needs an installer, while one just can use the SHOW PACKAGE CONTENTS command to get to the .app itself and run it without any need for installation. Who knows what it wants the password during the installation process for.
    I just wanted to transcode an Xvid encoded .avi with that free application into a .mov, though I couldn't get to any settings I could set. Where are they? Anyway, a .dv file came out. Nice. And it is using 50Mbit/s.​

Finally someone with sense, though the QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component is needed for opening MPEG-2 encoded footage, and it costs 19.99 USD.​

As mentioned before, RipIt will only create another compressed video, though the OP has not specified what "QuickTime" means for him or her.
    MacTheRipper is for ripping the video DVD, it does not transcode the ripped video.

Handbrake is for "converting" video, which is called transcoding.
    Handbrake is able to get video off a video DVD (but VLC Player has to be present to do so - see the above guide called "How to backup/copy/rip video DVDs to your HDD and transcode them to another format in Mac OS X"), but it will transcode the video directly to a format it offers.​

Anyway, whyrichard,
    it would be nice if you could be more specific what you want to accomplish with what you want to do, as "QuickTime" is not very specific and can get you a lot of false information as seen above.
    If you want a .mov to edit the footage, use the already mentioned MPEG Streamclip in conjunction with the QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component (19.99 USD) and then either use the Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) or ProRes codec for the video and Uncompressed for audio.
    Or do you want to do something else?
    Or have you already left the field, since this thread is a week old?

8. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Yes, but only to a limited extent. It is primarily for extracting video from DVDs. MPEGStreamclip has 25+ input/output options for conversion/transcoding or whatever the correct term is.

9. simsaladimbamba

It is not as diverse as MPEG Streamclip, but it has more input options than output options.
    http://handbrake.fr/details.php

And Handbrake rips and transcodes video from a video DVD (in conjunction with VLC Player), I may have confused your "getting video off" with ripping though.

10. tmagman macrumors 6502

Videora is also very good, a bit slower, but solid. I orginally would rip DVDs to VOB files and then convert the VOB files to mp4 or whatever using Videora and it was very slick.