VOBs to MP4 Help Please!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mrpeepers, Mar 12, 2010.

1. mrpeepers macrumors regular

So I have my DVD catalog backed up to external drive, and if you've ever ripped your DVD's you'll know that it creates a "VIDEO_TS" folder with files in there, in this case, a bunch of VOB files.

I'm wondering if there's an app that I can download that will take those VOBs, and combine them into ONE MP4.?

Thanks!!

...and if it's Handbrake, I know I can select ONE VOB to convert to an MP4 but it won't let me select then ALL.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Handbrake is able to convert the entire movie, not just a single .vob file, as the movie is split over several .vob files due to the file size limitations of the file system used on video DVDs.

Here is a guide for using Handbrake, it's a bit older, but the same principles should apply.
    http://www.wikihow.com/Use-HandBrake-on-a-Mac

Information on presets in Handbrake, something the older guide does not go into.
    http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/Presets

Btw, if you have a DVD with one movie and several extras and trailers and what not, the movie will be stored as one title, every extra will have its own title, every trailer and every what not will have its own title.

So a DVD with one movie, three features, five trailers and 42 what-nots, will have 51+ titles on it.

But, a big butt, Handbrake will not be able to combine several titles into one file, if that is what you are after.

For more information, feel free to use MRoogle, as the DVD to MP4/AVI question comes up every week or so, therefore plenty of answers exist.

3. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

4. mrpeepers thread starter macrumors regular

So, what I am after is, for example, Shrek. I copied my Shrek 1 with Mac the Ripper and it created 7 VOB files in the VIDEO_TS folder.

Rather than re-ripping with Handbrake, I want to know if it's possible to use Handbrake or something else to select those 7 VOB files have some software combine them into 1 MP4.

5. mrpeepers thread starter macrumors regular

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

[​IMG]

Seems I took too long.

HANDBRAKE WILL DO IT TOO. But it costs nothing.

/[​IMG]

Have you read the links I gave you? Or used MRoogle?

It seems not.

A video DVD contains an AUDIO_TS folder, most of the times empty. Then there is the VIDEO_TS folder, consisting of .vob, .ifo and .bop files.

The .vob files contain the video, but as the video DVD file system does not allow files bigger than a certain size, the movie and episodes contained on the DVD, are spread throughout the .vob files.

A rip software like MacTheRipper only rips the video DVD, which means it makes an exact copy of the video DVD and circumvents the copy protection scheme.

As you want an .mp4 file, which uses mostly MPEG-4 codecs like H264, and a video DVD uses the MPEG-2 codec, you have to transcode the video.
    One software used for this is Handbrake (sometimes misspelled Handbreak, which might explain the confusion), it is often even recommended in those weekly threads about DVD to random video file conversion.

Handbrake is capable of reading the file structure of the video DVD (.vob = video, .ifo = menu, .bop = backup of .ifo), detecting the complete movie and discovering that it is spread throughout numerous .vob files.
    Then, after you selected the movie (the correct title, the one longer than just 2m 32s, more like 45m 59s or 94m 22s), and set all the settings you want (or chose a preset (link in that other post)), and pressed the Start button, the movie will be converted and the result will be ONE (repeat: ONE = 1) file of your choice (.mp4, .mkv, .avi).

[​IMG]

And if that sounded condescending, it wasn't meant that way. Just slightly confused why one would not search and read.
    And why I bother to respond with a lengthy answer. Maybe to have something to link to for another post next week. Or Sunday.

7. Staush macrumors newbie