Vodafone confirmed as third UK iPhone partner

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by OllyW, Sep 29, 2009.

1. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

2. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

3. OllyW thread starter Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It's good news for the Irish as they are currently getting an awful deal on iPhone contracts with O2.

4. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

Not really

5. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

"What shall we do today Steve?"

"The same thing we do everyday Pinky… try to take over the world!"

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Still not really after an iPhone myself, but this is excellent news for the UK. It's exactly how it should be, competition from just about every corner of the market :)

7. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Good news... more competition the better

Will be interesting to see what happens in June if and when the new iphone is anounced.

Will they all release it on the same day?

Will one company have exlusivity on it for a while after release?

8. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Depends who you talk to… :)

Some swear by O2, while others swear at them.
    Then you get the Orange supporters and the Orange bashers; not forgetting the Vodafone fans and the Vodafone haters…

My experience with Orange has been dismal yet O2 have treated me fine. Vodafone I only know by (ill) repute.

That'd be difficult. ;)
    No, exclusivity is no more. Here's to lower tarrifs!

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

We've got five carriers with the iPhone, the competition doesn't make a lick of difference.

Apple are selling them outright unlocked through apple.com/au and Apple Stores and making a motza.

10. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

Touche. ;) Thanks (for the clarification), everybody who set me straight on that point! Well, in that event, will look forward to seeing how it plays out.

11. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Interesting, didn't know people still used Vodafone..

12. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Well, I just left vodafone (3 days ago) as I have an iPhone with O2 that runs out in February.

I will go on simplicity until the next iPhone and then go with whichever company has the best rates.

Awesome.

LoL. They are the oldest UK carrier and one of the largest in the world.

13. The Phazer macrumors 68030

They have the best network coverage (much better than O2) and considerably less awful customer service than Orange.

We'll have to see what the tarriffs are. I'm not sure that it'll make much more difference now, but it should prove interesting come the release of iPhone v4 where there'll be real competition.

Phazer

14. OllyW thread starter Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

They have lost a lot of customers in the UK in the last couple of years, dropping to number 3 behind O2 and Orange. They have admitted missing out on the iPhone had contributed to this.

15. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Finally, I can say goodbye to O2! Which is kind-of sad, because most aspects of O2 have been quite good, but there are problems, problems, and more problems when it comes to their actual network. It seems to be deteriorating as time goes by - perhaps the exodus of captives that will undoubtedly occur when Orange and Vodafone go online with the iPhone will go some way to relieving that, but by then it'll be too late...

Plus, at least with Vodafone if you've got bad indoor coverage you can do something about it: http://online.vodafone.co.uk/dispat...rue&_pageLabel=templateCClamp&pageID=PPP_0061

I already have a Vodafone contract so I guess I'll be upgrading, unless I can move my current iPhone 3GS from O2 but I can't imagine them ever issuing unlock codes - can you? ;) But then it'd make much more sense to wait until a new iPhone is released, rather than buy the same one again but on a different network. Still, I suppose I could sell the O2 one :/

16. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Also good news is that this means the extra load iPhone users place on the data network will now be split over several companies. That's good news for everyone, because the strain is really obviously causing O2 big issues recently.

EDIT: Oh, and Vodaphone customers are allowed to use the iPlayer over 3G, so very likely the BBC will remove the restriction on that network...

Phazer

17. danielhayter macrumors member

danielhayter

There have been multiple carriers here in France for the past 4 months and yet no price drops whatsoever. Don't get your hopes up!

18. matttye macrumors 601

Does anyone think this potential price-war will affect the cost of PAYG handsets as well?

19. matttye macrumors 601

I could be wrong but with the timing being so close to christmas I would think the companies will be trying to win over as many customers as possible!

20. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

THAT would be awesome.

21. Interpolation macrumors regular

22. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

When it comes to the iPhone, like many others, my only allegiance is to Apple themselves.

When it comes to mobile carriers, they're all bastards ... money grabbing, non-customer focused, bastards.

When you phone any of them you might get a friendly customer service rep who helps sway your opinion of the whole company, but at the end of the day they're all the same.

The only thing is is good for is competition and the customer, ie: new iPhone and potential iPhone buyers.

23. andylyon macrumors 6502a

andylyon

Good news all round. Let's hope this really starts to drive down the contract costs!

AnDy

24. andylyon macrumors 6502a

andylyon

I'm no expert but I cant see it having an effect any time soon. I think Apple set these prices and take in most of the profit. I can see it affecting contract costs much more.

AnDy

25. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

Seriously? They're a huge company.

Their corporate arm is everything a phone company should be. I've little experience with them outside of corporate, beyond roaming in Spain (which, again, I've had nothing but great experiences with) but they look after their business customers, no question.