Vodafone Mobile Connect installation difficulties.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by OliverS, Apr 18, 2009.

1. OliverS macrumors member

Hi all.

I got an offer for trying out the Vodafone Mobil Connect USB modem for a month for free, I accepted and it arrived today.

There's no installation guide for Mac included, so I at first I thought I couldn't use it for Mac. I searched around on Google and it lead me to this website:

http://www.business.vodafone.com/si...vity/40_software/software/10_latest/p_mac.jsp

I scrolled down, pressed 'Download'. The license agreement popped up and I pressed 'Accept'. A new window pops up, but Safari won't open it. Does anyone have another download link that works?

Thank you!

2. DSG macrumors regular

3. OliverS thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick reply!

It works! Downloading right now.

4. OliverS thread starter macrumors member

Okay so I have had a lot of stupid troubles with it. I installed it and everything went fine, until I should type the password. The box I got from the telephone company didn't give me a code, but I figured they sent it in an seperate envelope.

To make a long story short, I typed password wrong so I had to insert the SIM card into a mobile telephone and from there type the PUK-code, so I took my telephone, got out the SIM card and inserted the Vodafone SIM card. Typed PUK code, it asked me to change password, but I just typed the same password the company gave me.

I plug in the USB Modem now with the right SIM card with same code etc. It says:

The PIN code was not accepted by the mobile device. Please check that your SIM is inserted, and the PIN is correct code for this SIM.

I took out the SIM card and checked if everything was right and then I plugged in again and same message appears. What shall I do?

5. DSG macrumors regular

Sorry, doubt I can help much - I don't remember having any problems with mine. Have you tried Vodafone's usual 'default' PIN - 0000?

6. OliverS thread starter macrumors member

Damn!

Well I don't have the choice to write password, I only get that single message. Any advices?

7. OliverS thread starter macrumors member

8. OliverS thread starter macrumors member

I'm happy with the USB Modem however I remember I was promised better connection, is there a way to increase the connection, or see how fast it is? Under the network connection tab in system preferences perhaps?

9. DSG macrumors regular

The modem should have an indicator light on it - green=GPRS, dark blue=3G, light blue=HSDPA. There is a preference pane in the VMC software where you can tell the modem to restrict itself only to slower connections (e.g. GPRS/3G only). However, I think it is set by default to choose the fastest connection available and will switch as signal strength on the different networks varies. Therefore yours is likely to be going as fast as it can in its current location. Changing location may obviously speed it up if you are only getting one of the slower connections now. As a rough guide, when I'm getting HSDPA I get downloads from Apple at 100-150kb/sec - not amazing but ok for mobile in the real world.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention - while I'm pleased with the dongle, it can be a bit temperamental, as you've found out! One of Vodafone's quirks is that it throttles images on web pages. If you want to look at a page in its full glory then shift-reload it.